Saxophone Forum

by Bloo42
(1 post)
5 years ago

Experienced Player, Learning Alto,

I've been an instrumentalist for a while, mainly brass player. I'd like to say I have a good amount of experience. A few days ago, I got a Bundy Alto Sax (not the best, I know. It plays.) I got some Rico 3s and I'm ready to rock. I can already play it decently well, I can tell embouchure won't be a big issue for me. All I'm wondering is, where should I start out? There are plenty of guides for inexperienced musicians on how to learn an instrument, but I'm afraid those all go terribly slow and have a lot of redunancy. Any kind of guide for musicians who are learning a new instrument?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Experienced Player, Learning Alto,

Here's a link to a site that has all sorts of learning resources - articles, free and paid online lessons, skype lessons......

https://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/

The Bulletproof Saxophone Playing program sold on the site gets good press from some heavyweights.

Embouchure is probably the most underestimated aspect of saxophone playing for beginners.  Read  some of the tone production articles and do everything you can to get it right.  It's possible to get by with bad embouchure for a while, especially with alto, but it will come back and bite you on the a**.  

long tones! scales! arpeggios!  intervals!  

It's also worthwhile to have your instrument checked out by a repair tech to be sure it's ship shape and not going to get in your way.  The Bundys are durable, reliable student instruments and yours should serve you well.

Reply To Post