Saxophone Forum

by keybonesax
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Should I leave this alone?

Just getting this alto back from repair. This is a circa 1955 6M, STH, no micro-tuner. This will be my R&R, Blues, R&B alto. I'm expecting a different tone than my Buescher series I Aristocrat. 
I'm wondering if I should attempt to clean up the appearance or just leave it as it is. I know the pics are not the nest quality, might be hard to tell. 

(See Video Gallery Conn 6m Play Test Should I leave this alone)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Should I leave this alone?

Since the looks have nothing to do with playing, I wouldn't touch it.  I would only invest money in making it play better.  I don't know how to make it look appreciably better without stripping off the remaining lacquer, and having it then relaquered.  Why do this as it won't sound any better, and may actually decrease the value of the horn if you go to sell it.

Reply To Post

1. by keybonesax
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

There will be no re-lacquering. Thanks. I'll leave it alone. Maybe put some museum wax on the places my hands touch. I'll keep watch for anything that looks green. 

Jim Clendenin

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

If you simply do not like the green, use a 97% alcohol on a cotton ball. It evaporates faster than it breaks down the lacquer.

ALWAYS check in a back location to make sure it does not cloud the lacquer that is remaining.If that is a concern.

Other than that, it screams the blues as is.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by keybonesax
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

The lacquer if pretty much gone, even more than in these pics. The tech took it off to give it more consistent look. There may be a few lacquered spots...inside the bell and under the keywork... but it's pretty much bare brass now. Looks it's age and experience. Sounds good. Not as different from the Buescher as I expected using the same MPC. Keywork is great, but so is the Buescher.

Jim Clendenin

Reply To Post