Saxophone Forum

by pepitogrillado
(1 post)
5 years ago

Please help me choose: Jupiter JTS500Q vs Yamaha YTS280

Hello everyone!

I am an adult pianist. In music school, I also took flute lessons as a secondary instrument - which I enjoyed a lot, in fact from time to time I still play it. A couple of weeks ago I started tenor sax classes, and I am liking it a lot!

I am currently using a friend's Yamaha (I believe it is a 280). However, it is old and has been unused for a lot a lot of time. I find it really difficult to hit the E, D and C low octave notes, and the higher octave sounds a bit out of tune. Looks like it probably needs adjustments as well as pad replacements - which I am not looking to pay for given it's not my instrument.

I went to a music store to try different options on the €1000 range. Out of what I played, I am in between Jupiter JTS500Q and Yamah YTS280. I have considered the following thoughts, and I was wondering if you would be able to help me weight/furhter inform them?

• The Jupiter wins in tone: I felt it was rich, warm, dark and full, which is what I am looking for. Meanwhile, I feel the sound of the Yamaha it's a bit more bright and metallic (although I like it too!). The store staff said this is due to the metal of the Yamaha is a bit more thin. I played both with my Selmer C* mouthpiece, and I believe that changing the mouthpiece really can modify the tone of the sound. So basically I guess I could also get a more warm/dark/fuller sound with the Yamaha in the future, by changing the mouthpiece?

• The Jupiter was easier to play - I just was able to get better sound and more dynamics with low effort in blowing

• The Jupiter also wins in price - €940 vs €1340

On the other hand:

• Yamaha 280 has a lot of good reviews online suggesting more durability, while Jupiter has some bad publicity (particularly for older models). What do you think?

• Yamaha seems to be a beginner/intermediate instrument, while Jupiter is labelled as beginner "only". I am presuming the Yamaha offers more flexibility and more room to grow on sax, being able to play with more dynamics in sound. To what extent do you think this is right?

• The Yamaha feels a bit (just a bit) lighter and seems to have a better case (but these are not decisive factors to me..)

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Please help me choose: Jupiter JTS500Q vs Yamaha YTS280

It seems you know which one you like better, but can't quite believe it because of what others have said.  The Jupiter name still carries a lot of baggage from 20+ years ago, but they're one of the top manufacturers of moderately priced instruments.  

The Yamaha might come out ahead for durability, but the importance of that depends in part on how a horn gets used.  If you get the Jupiter, make sure you have a hard case with good internal shock protection for it if you're going to be playing out.  You should be able to get one for less than the price difference between it and the Yamaha.  

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Please help me choose: Jupiter JTS500Q vs Yamaha YTS280

Ger a Yamaha YTS23 used. Then spend some time learning to play before dumping cash into something you will hate in a year.

Go Practice!!

Reply To Post