Saxophone Forum

by Jonny D
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Buescher True Tone Engraving

Hi my name is Jonny, and I have inher my grandfathers sax. He was a Welsh musician who had  several bands between 20’s and the 40’s. He would play throughout the Wrlsh valleys. He has a beautiful Buescher sax, that looks to be gold plated with a wonderful engravement of an Indian chief and an eagle. I have done a few searches online but cannot find anything that appears the same. The serial no is 213258. If anybody has any info about this instrument I would be forever gratefu. Many thanks, Jonny

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone Engraving

You can refer to the saxophone museum tab in the upper left corner of this page.

There is a serial number sequence there that will tell you what year it was manufactured.

It is a tru tone. From 1926

As far as engraving goes, there was a lot of custom engraving going on during the hey day of these great horns. Yours looks gold plated. The engraving may have been done by one of the great engravers Conn had on staff. They also did a lot of their own after hour work for special friends and for extra money. Selmer, Martin, and probably Buescher, paid these artists to do work for them away from Conn.

Yes it is a one of a kind piece of art, but it is still just a 1920s saxophone. In general, without the custom engraving, they are very common. 750 for a gold plate. Add maybe 2500 for the extra engraving for someone that just has to have it.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by Jonny D
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Many thanks for this informatio, Jonny

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

If you are interested in selling it,

Mark Overton of Saxquest manages this site and is the curator of the saxophone museum. He is always looking for horns that are unique and may tie Buescher and Conn connections together. He is a user on this site and the person you should contact.He has probably already seen this feed.

Reply To Post