Saxophone Forum

by karengreg
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Hello from Australia Karen and Greg C.G .CONN 1914 saxophone

Hi there to all the knowledge members here on this site group chat my wife and I are not saxophone players and don’t know anything about saxophones hence becoming a member here to find out some information about a saxophone that we have been given. It is a C.G.Conn made in Elkhart USA the dates on the rear of the saxophone are December 8/1914 the PATD number is lll 9954. It then has a A under that un this is the model number M 172976 then under this is a H ( high pitch we have been told this stands for). We are after any information anyone may be able to help us with and possibly a valu. As we feel it is a vintage instrument that is of some value and is better of with someone that can appreciate it for what it is. It is in its original case and complete to our knowledg. Thanks any information is appreciated will try to add pI tired to our post.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Hello from Australia Karen and Greg C.G .CONN 1914 saxophone

Hi, welcome to the forum.  Yes this appears to be a high pitch instrument.  At one time instruments were made for either low pitch (A=440 Hz) or high pitch (A=457 Hz).  Those two frequencies are about 1/4 tone apart.  If a low pitch and high pitch instrument both play an A at the same time, the result would be annoyingly dissonent.  The low pitch approach finally won out (in the 1930's maybe), and since then, all instruments have been low pitch.

The bad news for you is that this high pitched horn cannot play in tune with any other low pitch instruments, and there is no known way to correct this.  Therefore, even though you have a very nice horn (valuable if it were low pitch), it has almost no value because it is high pitch.  I do not know what mouthpiece came with this horn, but it is possible that the mouthpiee is worth more than the horn.  I would guess that the horn is worth less than $150 on the market, and would be very difficult to sell, since players would avoid it.  You would have to find a collector who is interested in that specific model.

Reply To Post

1. by karengreg
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks very much for your message and information about our saxophone we found it helpful bu disappointed about the value. At least we now know what we are selling and don’t sound stupid.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

It seems that most of the H High pitch instruments were sent out of the country. I have heard it called the European tuning also. I agree, the value is low. It can be played alone and only those listeners with perfect pitch would ever know. Put it on Ebay and list it as a High pitch. You will sell it. Start the bidding at 85 bucks.

I have a number of vintage Conn altos. I would pay 85 bucks knowing what it was if I ran across it. Looking at the wear on the thumb rest, it has been played a bit. Probably in its day of the 1920s.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by karengreg
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks for responding to our post and the information you have provided us with.

Reply To Post

3. by Ranandar
    (3 posts)

5 years ago

I would buy it for parts and the case which appears to be in better shape than mine. Does anyone know if keys and such on the 'H' models would fit the "L" models?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

The keys would be the same. Expect some minor swedging to get the fit perfect. Each one was hand made and they are never exactly in position if you interchange keys.

Also, the serial numbers between the horns should be somewhat close. An early M series may be a bit  different to a later M series. The difference in the H and L are in the bore and tone hole circumference. Minor differences that are not is the generic key sizes.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

4. by woodwindlover
    (1 post)

5 years ago

Hi,
    Is this horn is still available ?

Regards

Reply To Post