Saxophone Forum

by Skylark
(27 posts)
19 years ago

reeds???? what should i do

i have been playing with reco's since 6th grade im a 11th grader now and what to branch to better reed types, what is a list of the best reeds out there.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: reeds???? what should i do

This is a question that can generate a lot of opinions, so might as well start with mine, right??? I've recently gotten into Hemke reeds on alto and tenor and I'm absolutely crazy about them. You basically just have to go buy some and give them a shot. What is it about the rico's that you don't like, and what mouthpiece are you using?

Reply To Post

2. by DredSax
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

I have grown found of the Rico Jazz Select. But it may not be whats best for you. I may date myself but I remember the days when a sax player could buy reads one at a time. When you needed to experiment you could buy 10 different types. Maybe you can find a local store that does this. I sure can't.

Reply To Post

3. by lilbosco
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

i find recos and reco royals are the the best but my to would like to try somthin different

Reply To Post

1. by Gooshbanshee
      (24 posts)

19 years ago

vandoren classicle (cheaper and really good) Hemeke (expensive but really really really good)

Reply To Post

1. by Skylark
        (27 posts)

19 years ago

thx for the impute guys, i got a store thats bout a hour drivee which is where i bought my cannonball that sells like 40 differnt companys of reeds and u can buyem 1 at a time so ill have to go buy like all of them to get a good one :)

Reply To Post

1. by Skylark
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

O ya and what kind of ligacture do you guys think is the best.

Reply To Post

2. by lilbosco
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

i use a stander meatle one with the 2 screws they usely come with a sax.

Reply To Post

3. by Jazz&pizzaz
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

What do you guys think about the Utimate Ligature by Francois Louis. I want to buy one but i dont know if it's good for jazz. I have a Phil Barone vintage mouthpeice now with Rico Jazz select reeds. Any one know if there good?

Reply To Post AIM

4. by daonlybg
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

a Phil Barone vintage mouthpiece and rico jazz select... not a bad setup you got there, my friend. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ultimate Ligature, but, if you REALLY wanna try something new, get the Oleg Ligature... always wanted one. by the way, ligature will affect your tone...TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. don't fret too much bout that. mouthpiece and reeds are a much higher priority, material-wise.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by daonlybg
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

by the way, as for the dude who was asking about reeds... i used to use rico when I was a youngster. they're pretty inexpensive and a good bang for the buck. but i'll have to admit, they only do so much... lately i've found that Hemke reeds KICK @$$. they're really good and very well made. the rico jazz select are very good too. Vandorens...they always tended to break with me for some reason...hmmm.....they're a bit on the expensive side, too. I have a selmer reference 54 tenor and i use a dukoff D7 with it. I use hemke reeds and it just rocks. try a hemke. if not hemke, then shoot for the rico jazz select, or heck, any box of reeds that says "select" on them. cuz i tell ya, the "select" makes a BIG difference.

Reply To Post AIM