Saxophone Forum

by Shuahl
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Jody Jazz Giant VS Gottsu Hibiki

Hello,
I am new to this forum and to sax in general. I am starting with tenor and my teacher has offered me to buy a Jody Jazz Giant or a Gottsu Hibiki. I plan on playing pop/rock music as part of a band. So I need a bit of power. Anyway, those are my 2 options. 

Which one is better?

I have seen that the Hibiki is $295 vs the $350 of the Jody Jazz. 

Is that price difference related to quality as well?

Thank you guys!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz Giant VS Gottsu Hibiki

For someone that is new to the saxophone, those are some pricey options.

I have been told the jody jazz is just an expensive POS, but I am old school and rely on practicing and long tones. The other I have never heard of...

But, I have only been playing regulalrly since 1980.

You do realize an expensive mouthpiece wont make the saxophone play by itself dont you?

You have to learn how to play the sax first.

Then you have opening size, depending upon that players ability to play and control it.

Save your money, stick with a simple mouthpiece, and practice instead.

Good Luck with whatever it is you are looking for.

Reply To Post

1. by Shuahl
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Hi, thank you for the reply. 
      I agree with you that practice is more important than equipment. But the sax I got came with a very poor mouthpiece. And my teacher told me to change it. And recommended me those 2. According to him it would  be a good investment for the future. But I wouldn't mind starting with a cheaper one. 
      Agani, thanks a lot for your input. I wish I had that much time playing! 

Reply To Post

1. by neonlee
        (8 posts)

5 years ago

Hi,

I play on the alto sax so I am not very sure on Tenor Sax. I would recomend buying the Yamaha 4C if you are just starting out. It has a small opening and is very easy to play and so would make a great beginner mouthpiece. It is also a good quality mouthpiece nd generally a go-to for beginners.

BUT, if you want something better but cheap, I would definitely recomend the Rico Graftonite/Metallite. I currently have a Rico Graftonite B5. (B is the chamber size, 5 is the opening size).

Regards.

Reply To Post