Saxophone Forum

by IIEDOII
(3 posts)
5 years ago

CG Conn

Was my father's sax and curious about the model and history...also wanted advice on where to send it for restoration and roughly how much it might cost.

Thanks,
Eric

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: CG Conn

From the serial number, it looks to be either a very late New Wonder I or a very early New Wonder II (Chu Berry).  A quick look at the G# key should tell you, since the G# key of the Chu Berry version has a "nail file" finish.  
    The easiest way for you to tell is to select the "Saxophone Museum" tab at the top left of this page, go to the C.G. Conn photo and click it.  This will take you to photographs of all the early Conns, and you can compare these photos to what you have.

Not knowing where you live makes it hard to recommend a repair shop, but they do excellent work here at Saxquest.  If you go to the Saxquest store repair price link:  https://www.saxquest.com/repair-shop/saxophone-repair, you can get an idea of what alto sax repair will cost.  However, be prepared, because you can get repair quotes that range from full professional set-up to "just do enough to make it playable", and they will be significantly different prices.

Reply To Post

1. by IIEDOII
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I have received a quote and after a chat with my wife will be sending it in for a full repair and refinish at saxquest. 

It does have the nail file finish on the g# so chu berry it is!
      Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

5 years ago

Good choice!  I had Saxquest perform a pro overhaul on my 1936 Conn 6M and they did a spectacular job.  I let friends play it and they always commented how smooth and quick the action felt.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

Here are a few that do the type of work your horn will require:

Saxquest in St Louis

Tenor Madness in Iowa

PM Winds in Chicago

USA Horn in New Jersey

Everything would require being dismantled completely.

Not necessary, but a complete polishing is usually done.

Not necessary, but spot replating could be done.

Extensive time consuming work. 20 or more hours at 30 to 50 bucks an hour. But, it will play as good or better than new. Anybody that will do it for less is not doing it correctly. There are a number of guys like myself that do such work at home in their basement, as a hobby. I only work on my own horns now. 

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by IIEDOII
        (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate the time.. I live in Arizona so will need to ship it anyway. I have decided to send to saxquest. I will post some pictures once its cleaned up but it could be a few months from the sound of it.

Reply To Post