Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
5 years ago

General question to the Bari Players out there

So, I have been on this Forum for a number of years. I think this is my first posting asking a playing question.

It to the Bari players out there.

I am back out playing after a number of years, due to bad eyesight being surgically corrected($$$$$)  and I now am able to read charts again, keeping up. There seems to be a giant void and the need for a commited Bari player wherever I go?

EXAMPLE: Does a Mark VI Bari with a low A play differently than one keyed to low B flat? As a doubling instrument, is the extra horn/weight room taken up in the sax section worth it for the occasional low A written into charts?

My tenor is a 1964 Mark VI that I have had since 1980 (My user Photo). Well, I have a number of horns in my collection, but my 64 is my perfect fit.  I am thinking I would be most comfortable on a Mark VI Bari from the similar vintage and keyed to low B flat. I am just starting my search, so I will play first whatever I buy.

I would love to hear comments.

Every Player is different.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

Re: General question to the Bari Players out there

Not a bari player myself, but here's a link to an article by one fellow very opinionated on the low A issue:

http://jazzbarisax.com/articles/brands-and-horns/

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks for the link. It was directly on my thought pattern.

I had already decided on Selmer, or Conn, keyed to low B flat.

As it is obvious, I am a CONNoisseur.

The Conn keywork I am very familiar with, yet the Selmer keywork, after 40 yr, is second nature. My thoughts on the low A is right on this info, the opinions from jazzbarisax.com

Since I do my own work, I'm looking for an old highly worn Mark VI, Perferably in the early 60s production.

Still looking for other input from players, but this was quite helpful.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

5 years ago

I have been watching a 1964 Selmer Baritone keyed to B flat on ebay that needs some work. I think it has a week or 5 days so till it ends.

I have been considering breaking my "golden rule" of purchasing a horn before I play it.

Worse yet, I have been considering buying this unplayable horn that needs work site unseen.

I think the best rule is always to ask questions ahead of time, so you are not side swipped by a horn with unmentioned damage, such as crushed tone holes that may end up being a big issue. Also, stick with the solid feedback sellers.

I think I will pass on this one. It is only at 1700, but if its the wrong horn, its 1700 too much.

If it wasn't a RELACQUERED horn, I probably would still be considering it.

Still Looking if anyone has a Selmer in the early 60s original finish, keyed to B flat.

I may just pick up a 12M for now. They always hold their value.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

5 years ago

If you'd consider a Conn, might you also consider a Martin?  They have their fans and you might find a better deal.

"I’ve used a The Martin baritone for years. They are the best of the vintage baritones."

https://www.saxgourmet.com/vintage-saxophone-value-guide/

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

5 years ago

Yes I would definitely consider a Martin. I play a Martin stencil alto in silver plate with a front F and the forked E flat around the front. Awesome horn. I still play it regularly and it was the horn I started on back in elementary school. I have it set up playing perfect.

I knew a Bari player that had a beautiful dark lacquered horn back in the mid 90s. I think a nice vintage  Martin Baritone is just such a rarely I'd never find one. I am definitely not afraid of the soldered on tone holes and the fact they are made like a tank.

In fact I'm watching a "The Martin Baritone" on Ebay right now. It is a bit overpriced. Has some custom alterations. Will need a fresh setup to be a real work horse. So a very worn and played horn, but probably just what I need. At 899.00 it will never be a collectors horn, but a players horn. Any return value if I decided to pass it on, would only be possible with a local sale. 899 is a bit high for a horn with so much stage wear as I call it.

A 12M and Mark VI, are just more plentiful.

Finding a real nice Martin Bari will not be easy.

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

5 years ago

It took me 3 months, but I settled on a 1954 Buescher Aristicrat Big B with a front F and keyed to B flat.

Local Sale, Original Lacquer, snap in resonators all intact, original neck, a new case with wheels, original mouthpiece, physically in above average condition. From a professional player and priced where I could not say no.

Reply To Post