Saxophone Forum

by ElBarto
(1 post)
5 years ago

Alto to Tenor?

Hello,
I’ve not played saxophone for that long, abouy 2-3 years. In that time I’ve never previously played tenor sax. I’ve only played alto. Recently my grandpa told about a saxophone he thinks he has. It appears that he has have a Tenor Dolnet Bel Air 1950 (sn 34233). It has been laying around in his attic since the 60’s approx. There are many leaks and other issue. I have changed pads, taken it apart and cleaned it thouroughl. But there are still so many things wrong with the mechanism. A real overhaul from a repair shop was estimated to be well over 1000 American. I have trouble playing it, and that is my real question. Is it my unfamiliarity to temor, or is it the lack of play and the amount of problems that are making the sax unplayabl?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Alto to Tenor?

If it needs 1000 dollars in work, you wont be able to play it as is.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

On the bright side, the Bel Airs from that era are rare and highly regarded instruments known for their big sound.  If you get it in top playing condition for $1000, maybe more, in repairs you come out ahead.  But there is uncertainty in how much effort it would take to get it in top condition because the build quality of Dolnets is famously inconsistent.

Reply To Post

3. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

You or the horn?  If you don't have a leak light, and a lot of experience, about the only way to determine that is to find a decent tenor player and have them try it out.  

Reply To Post