Saxophone Forum

by Haanzig
(19 posts)
5 years ago

Vandoren A55 Blue Jumbo

Anyone have any experiance with a Vintage Vandoren A55 Blue Jumbo Alto mouthpiece ? been researching it, but haven't had the opportunity to try one yet. I know Donald Harrison uses an A45 contemporary. Not sure about the difference. I use a CE Winds #6 Five Spot/Jazz mpc right now & need somethin g that moves more air.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Vandoren A55 Blue Jumbo

I do not have a CE Winds tip opening chart, but if it is a 6, it is likely around .076" tip opening.  The 5 spot is a jazz mouthpiece, and has a sound similar to the old Meyer alto pieces.  As such it has a slightly spread tone and does not project particularly well.

On the other hand, the Jumbo Javas have a much more focused tone, and project very well.  The A55 Jumbo Java has a .097" tip opening which is almost like having a 9 or 10 size in other mouthpieces.  Given the way the Jumbo Java projects, you might find that the A45 is all you need in a tip (.087").

You asked if anyone had experience with the blue A55 piece.  I tried a black A55 JJ a few weeks ago, and found the tone to be a bit darker than the A35 that I actually bought. The A35 easily buried Meyer like pieces when it came to projection.

You should be able to find a shop that carries JJ's, or an online shop that will allow a trial.  The best way to find what you need is to try it out.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

5 years ago

A Link 9 is .120".  .097" is more like a 7.  But of course the differences between Links and Meyers and the blue Jumbos in terms of baffle and chamber are so profound that tip size by itself doesn't provide a terribly meaningful comparison.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

5 years ago

Hi GFC, I think you are discussing tenor, not alto sizes.

Reply To Post

1. by AlienBison
          (1 post)

4 years ago

The A55 Jumbo Java has a .097" tip opening which is almost like having a 9 or 10 size in other mouthpieces. https://www.mycfavisit.us/

Reply To Post