Saxophone Forum

by jazzdude482
(38 posts)
19 years ago

ahh high notes

I'm working on some pieces for all-state and every high not past the high c is flat and well there are a lot of high notes in these classical pieces and i dont know how to fix them any hints will be appreciated

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by OANegrin
    (26 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ahh high notes

Keep the back of your tongue way up, as if you are saying "EEEEEEEE!" or hissing like a cat. The temperature of your air should be cool, NOT warm. This makes your air focused and fast, and will give you much more flexibility with which to deal with intonation, altissimo, and color change. Give it a try. OANegrin

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
      (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx ill try that later today

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
        (38 posts)

19 years ago

Is it okay if i bite harder to make the high notes come out, and when i do my lip really hurts?

Reply To Post

1. by OANegrin
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

While vertical pressure (biting) is allowed to happen among most saxophonists, I highly recommend AGAINST it. I believe that very minimal tension in the jaw area is required to produce a tone. Let the airspeed and the tongue placement do all of the work. Biting causes pain in the lip, constriction of tone, and possibly could lead to TMJ, which is huge bad news. OANegrin

Reply To Post

2. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

ok thx

Reply To Post

3. by saximous86
          (17 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with onegrin. Tightening or bitting the reed is very detrimental to your tone as the reed is distorted in its vibration. The result is a really buzzy sound not preffered, by any classical saxophonist that i know at least, and also bad intonation. I would work the embochure. Try to keep your jaw still in place (unless you are doing vibrato of course) by looking at urself in a mirror. Make the embochoure is firm, not tight with pressure. Sometimes all it takes to play a high note is to blow a bit harder. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post