Saxophone Forum

by TonyR
(2 posts)
5 years ago

G'day from Tony!

Hi all at Saxophone.org

I'm Tony and live in Sydney, Australia. I'm getting back to playing music after quite a break. An old school buddy has an Armstrong tenor sax he no longer plays and said I could have it (for a case of beer!). Used to play tenor sax, but started on clarinet (have a Selmer being overhauled at the moment). The  Armstrong sax mey need a service, new pads etc, we'll see.

Favourite music is jazz of all genres, and there are a few venues (not many) supporting live jazz in Sydney I regularly go to.

Anyway, thanks again for inviting me to your forum.

Cheers

Tony Russell

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: G'day from Tony!

Welcome aboard.  A tenor sax for a case of beer sounds like a great deal.  I took a long break from playing, but decided to start again a couple of years before retirement.  Best thing I did!  Really enjoying playing.  I hope you have the same experience.  Cheers!

Reply To Post

1. by TonyR
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks Jim

Yeah, got my work cut out for me, re-learning clarinet AND saxophone! But, like you I'm really looking forward to getting back into it, hope my neighbours don't mind too much haha!

Cheers, Tony

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

5 years ago

When I got back to clarinet, I found that my fingers had gotten fatter and it presented a challenge to cleanly cover the key holes and not hit keys like the alt keys between the 2nd and 3rd fingers of each hand.  I found that I needed to arch my fingers a little more than normal.  I hope you don't have this problem, since it is frustrating until you put in enough practice time.

Reply To Post