Saxophone Forum

by jazzdude482
(38 posts)
19 years ago

just wonderin

i was just wondering how long it will take for me to learn how to do jazz improv. Ive ben listening to nothing but jazz for a little over a week and Im starting to get impatient. And what other jazz cds should i listen to because right now im listening to Sonny Rollins. thx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzyjoe81
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: just wonderin

First of all patience is the only thing that will get you through this. I would suggest using Jamey Aebersolds CDs, they are pretty decent. You can't "learn" improv via osmisis, you have to find your style, your sound, and then you kind of just do it. Good luck. joe

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
      (38 posts)

19 years ago

oh i know how to do improv except everytime i play improv it comes out classical and i want to make it sound more jazzy. This is probably because I listened to a lot of classical music when i was younger though. Would this be a problem?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

19 years ago

Not really, sometimes classical can be a good complement to jazz improve. However sometimes I personally feel it can get in the way. Don't be too quick to learn how to improv. Just do a little each day and soon you will see that you are getting a lot better. Good Luck to ya.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

do you think that someone ( me for example) can learn how to do jazz improve in their freshman year in high school without any classes about theorys and chords and everything else or would it take longer.And do i have to listen only to jazz or can i listen to some other stuff like rock, techno, and etc. because Im starting to miss those.

Reply To Post

2. by Gooshbanshee
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

okay, you dont need any classes or anything like that, what you need to do is practice and learn chord changes with your private teacher (can be done with half a brain), and you just need to practice alot!

Reply To Post

3. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx but should I listen only to jazz or could i listen to other types of music

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to EVERYTHING!

Reply To Post

5. by saxmanT
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

Aebersold cd's are a very good start. Improv is about the moment...how you feel inside, what's on you mind, what you like/ dislike, how you day has gone, and even what kind of music you listened to last. If you have the basics of improv (learning the chords and progressionsand some riffs), start letting your mind wonder when you solo. Don't clog you mind thinking too much, just let it happen. Let all types of music build the foundation of your improv style, don't limit yourself.

Reply To Post

6. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

listen to whatever you want to.. play whatever you want to.. (as long as it fits into the song) and.. your never good enough.. you always have room to learn, to get better, to excel..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

7. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

wow i never thought of that, thanks ^_^

Reply To Post

8. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"listen to whatever you want to.. play whatever you want to.. (as long as it fits into the song) and.. your never good enough.. you always have room to learn, to get better, to excel.." I'll kind of disagree with your first point... you need to listen to jazz, other things won't really help. but the rest is spot on! and it's all about the feeling, NOT the changes and how you play though them. But there isn't a "soul" to the solo if the person is just trying to play it safe and with-in the boundrys of keys and chords. it's all about expressing youself and how you feel about things!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

9. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

yea i gotcha chia.. i kno where ur comin from.. but im basically sayn ur not limited to just jazz.. obviously if your tryna get better at improv, your gonna listen to some jazz.. but i get a lot of ideas that i really wanna try to fit into songs i play this year from other sources.. pink floyd, chili peppers, senses fail.. a lot of more modern stuff.. cuz even tho they sometimes lack musicality, there are still cool melodies that id at least like to try..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

10. by jazzplayer15
          (27 posts)

19 years ago

A teacher of mine told me that I would improv better if I felt it. I tried that at the end of the year concert and I've never gotten more compliments on a solo since. K

Reply To Post

11. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You never really stop learning improv. That's the fun thing about it! Learn your scales. Once you get familiar with scales, chord progressions, etc. you can listen to a song and work out the solo note for note. Listen to some of the players that you really like. Listen to what they are playing and how it fits into the song. You may want to incorperate some of their licks into your solos, or change them just enough to make them your own. The most important part of improv is listening, but you need to know what you're listening to. Learn your scales! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!