Saxophone Forum

by newsomt55
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Conn Sax Identify

Can someone tell me anything about a Conn sax serial number 8716.  I think it is a shooting star model because of the engravings. I picked it up for $50 today. Is it worth reconditionong?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Conn Sax Identify

ahese old versions of the shooting star altos are very sturdy.

If it is not banged up, you can probably get it playing for around 500 bucks.

It is not valued any more than that.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

That's one of the better "shooting star" models, with a two piece side Bb key and a side chromatic F# key, from the early 1960s.  It is essentially a  Vito Model 37, rebranded with different engraving after Conn bought out Vito's supplier circa 1960.  The four digit serial number is in sequence with Vito, not Conn, serial numbers.  

If it doesn't have any significant damage, it is well worth getting into top playing condition.  Since you only paid $50, so much the merrier for your repair budget.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

That was information I was not aware of.

This tad bit of information answers so many question I have had concerning these early Conn models, built well. but the serial numbers not matching. There is a horn here locally on craigslist exactly like it engraved Vito Special.

Thanks for the Learin!!

Reply To Post

2. by newsomt55
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks. Great info. My son is excited about trying to bring this horn back to life. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

5 years ago

The model was sold by Conn as the 50M.  There was a sister model 60M tenor, but those are extremely rare.

Reply To Post