Saxophone Forum

by whatever
(9 posts)
19 years ago

silver tarish

Hey everybody, I just got back my silver conn from bein overhauled(w/o any buffing or re-plateing) and it looks and plays as if it were brand new! The only problem with it is that when-ever I touch it it seems to tarnish. I am afraid its gonna be black by next week! In band we play sometimes with white gloves and it lileratly turns the gloves black! I just bought a new case for it and i was wondering if i could line it with anti-tarnish "silver cloth". I know my grandmother wraps all of her sliver dishes in it and it works really well. Since my sax is vintage it doesnt have any type of laquer-finish to prevent it from tarnishing. Does anyone else have this problem? If so what do you reccomend? I would also like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to those people who helped me before. I have totally changed my mind about the saxophone, before my parents had to Force me to play it, now i cant put it down.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: silver tarish

The anti-tarnish cloth sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, silver will tarnish over time, and other than having the instrument cleaned again, there probably isn't much that you can do. I use Wright's silver polish. Sometimes you can get into those hard to reach places with a paintbrush. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

wax... johnsons will work just fine, (and I want someone to try it!).

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by closelabs
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Try getting Silver protector strips by 3M. Haggerty also makes them and you can buy on the internet. I have a 1924 Conn Bb straight silver soprano. It sat on my shelf for 38 years +/-. I finally had it rebuilt about a year ago. It was black. It now looks as good as it sounds. And has been kept that way with the protector strip in the case near the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgod_0021
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Where do you go to get your sax replated

Reply To Post