Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
4 years ago

Whats the current trend on saxophone installed pad protection

I have been playing more recently than I have in 35 years. I am going to break down and replace my tenor setup after the holiday playing responsibilities are over and use one of my others till I get my main tenor done. I am noticing the "Wear Of Time" on the lower end pads.

Back in the 1980s we used a SHOVE IT. A cotton and nylon item we slipped into the horn and stored it that way to soak up moisture with the cotton and keeping the bore open with the nylon woven into it.

Then there was the sealing of the pads with the plastic goop.

Then there was the key clamps that held the lower pads closed and inforced the pad seal.

Then there are the green leaf items that keep the low Eflat and low D flat pads open to remove the moisture.

Through time and playing, I have decided the best thing to do is always brush your teeth before playing. After playing, use the standard moisture cloth attached to a nylon string, dropping it through the horn and removing some moisture. Putting a paper towel under the E flat pad and the low D flat pad just momentarily to remove the moisture, then putting my horn away with nothing on or in it.

Any input from those players that play a lot as to which process keeps your pads working the longest?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Whats the current trend on saxophone installed pad protection

I think several parts there are key. Don't eat or drink before/during playing. Swab it out every time, and put it away dry. I keep a small hand towel handy to make sure there isn't excess spit/moisture on the pads that stay closed like low Eb, G#, palms, etc. Get your horn checked over at minimum once a year (twice is better) so you can head off minor adjustments before they become major repairs. If you are doing all that, you are way ahead of the game.

Reply To Post