Saxophone Forum

by oplein
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Double lip embouchure?

Hello around two weeks ago I saw something online that said that Coltrane used a double lip embouchure. After reading this I decided to do some more research and I discovered that a lot of people have mostly positive things to say after switching from single to double lip. As a saxophonist who is constantly listening to Trane and trying to achieve a Trane like tone I decided to try it out myself. I’ve been trying to use it for the last week or so but it just hurts to much and I give up..Do you guys think it is worth the switch? Does embouchure affect tone that much? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Double lip embouchure?

Read the small paperback book Chasing the Trane.

Trane had very bad dental problems. His double embouchure venture was

his attempt to play with less pain.

Reply To Post

2. by oplein
    (2 posts)

4 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Reply To Post

3. by Alexander954
    (1 post)

4 years ago

Ironically, the act of Chasing Trane is a very old concept. You just end up looking and sounding like someone trying to sound like Trane. There are a number of players that have used and still use the double embouchure thing. Branford Marsalis did at one point and maybe still does.

Reply To Post

4. by czhtra
    (1 post)

4 years ago

Ricardo's recommendation? Practice double lip embouchure at least 5 minutes a day. After a few weeks of this, add another minute… Don't worry if it hurts, your facial muscles will increase over time.  As Ricardo says, learning how to play clarinet using double lip embouchure is completely advantageous "in every single way" and can only help you in your career as a musician. Even Ricardo, who did not start off learning double lip embouchure until later his career, says he regrets not learning it sooner because it sounds better when playing legato and staccato phrases. So take the time to learn the double lip embouchure little by little, you won't regret it!

Reply To Post