Saxophone Forum

by markseez
(17 posts)
18 years ago

Tenor Dolnet saxophone (Bel air serial 710xxx)

Does somebody knows anything about Dolnet apart that they were made in Paris or around there? I just found a good shape Tenor but unplayable (needs a full overhaul) It was abandonned in a garage for long and the case stinksss. The price is 600$ but I will have to buy it as is. Is it a "classical" sax or a plain good horn or worth the risk at this price? My actual horn is a Conn chu berry (eexcellent), but the Dolnet could be something to add. Resell price would be?Thanks to you for the time and info.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tenor Dolnet saxophone (Bel air serial 710xxx)

saxpics.com/dolnet/index.htm that should tell you a bunch of info, and as for th horn, go for it i think, it should be worth the investment, for the overhaul and a case. Ive never played a Dolnet, but I've not been told bad about one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by markseez
      (17 posts)

18 years ago

thanks definition for the link. If you look at the key works these sax have a nice body but the keywork seems to be made of that cheap silverlike metal that is or was common on student sax or even on King in their recent super 20 models: at least it is an aesthetic hesitation.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Nickle keywork isnt a sign of inferior workmanship, infact, Nickle Silver or nickle-plated keywork was prefered by many during the 50s-60s, thus it was used in some professional horns from Buffet, Dolnet, SML, Selmer, Buescher, and the like.

Reply To Post

1. by markseez
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

tanks Jonhsonfw, I was thinking more of inferior material than workmanship but glad to know it shouldn't be the case. Anyone out there owns uses or uses not a Dolnet?

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'm trying to look ths up... but I "think" it's a crap-shoot to which one is better. I'll post a chart or something if I find one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

www.pacificsintered.com/Materials/Nonferrous.htm that is close enough.., but I'm pretty sure that sax's aren't made with leaded brass, I could be wrong though.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by markseez
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

...and I doubt the makers did ever divulgate their recipes.

Reply To Post