Saxophone Forum

by RJD
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Quit sax?

I've been learnng sax for 6 years. I've been practicing melodies, patterns, songs, scales, etc and recently saw a video on YouTube where this fella has been playing for 4 yrs, no lessons, and sounded great playing and improvising. It was so demoralizing that I really feel like tossing it in. Have you ever thought like that? How do you overcome it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Quit sax?

I can swim, but I dont have the perfect genetic set up of Michael Phelps.

Dont let someone elses abiltity get you down.

Im no Charlie Parker or John Coltrane either.

Keep Practicing. That is the only way to get where you want to go.

Reply To Post

2. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

4 years ago

If you love doing it, keep doing it. You can't help what someone else is doing, just focus on yourself, getting better every day. No matter what you do in life, there's always going to be someone better, you just can't worry about that stuff.

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

So...

Did you quit?

Reply To Post

4. by jDorian
    (1 post)

4 years ago

You're comparing yourself to someone else, don't do that. It's about how you play, and how you enjoy playing.

You listen to your own music every day, so you don't know what it sounds like when you're playing like someone else hears it. You get used to hearing yourself play and after a whlie that flattens. if you listen to a song 1000x it often becomes boring as well. Don't compare your music to someone elses. Someone else might progress faster, or be better, or give better shows. Don't compare yourself, but learn from others. "What are they doing what I could be doing as well?", "What can I learn from them?"

Whenever you feel like tossing it, or get bored with making music, or whatever, tell yourself the reasons you started making music in the first place. Then start making music again. 

Reply To Post