Saxophone Forum

by pperrotti
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Otto Link problem

Hi everybody,

I'm new on the forum. I tried the search tool and couldn't find a topic that really helps me. So there it go!

I bouth a new Otto Link Tone edge 7* after 1 year playing on a Yamaha 4C on my YTS-280.

I noticed that the baffle, the area right behind the tip is not linear, i mean, it looks like the baffle angle isn't uniform, the concavity doesn't start at the same distance from the tip.I was thinking if it can affect my sound. Today is the 3rd day i'm playing on it, and i can make a very nice tone compared with my old yamaha 4C, but its a bit ''squeaky'' on the high notes second register. I'm having problems to find this model with this tip opening in the market, so i needed to order it online and didn't have the opportunity to try different pieces of the same model, so i dont have how to compare it.

I head about the bad finishing of the new Links and now i dont know what to do. The squeaking can be just because im not used to this tip opening, or the reeds?

So, the question is, should i ask the store to change the product?

Gonna send some pics so u can undertand the problem.

Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Otto Link problem

Squeaking usually is a combination of reed strength along with getting use to a mouthpiece.

A step up from a Yamaha 4C to a link 7* may take you a few weeks to get use to it. Play as much as possible is my advise.

BUT,

I have always used Links since playing regularly or seriously. I got my first one in 1980.

I can see what you are talking about. Does the reed seal? If you put the reed on, put the mouthpiece on the neck. Then put the opening of the neck onto the fleshy part of your plam, and suck the air out of the mouthpiece, The reed should seal and pop as it opens. Once you get a good seal, give the mouthpiece another try.

I am actually now using a 1942 Tone Master in a 6 facing that does not seal well, but it still plays wonderful and is all original and Even.Prior to that I worked out on a 9* wanting a bigger sound. Before that, I was on a 5* metal and a 5 just like yours, but a bit older.

Medium Hard LaVoz reeds.

If you are not satisfied, return it, mentioning why you are returning it. Make them send you one that has been finished evenly and correctly. My links are all somewhat older, as I am 56.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by pperrotti
      (2 posts)

4 years ago

Hey thanks a lot for the anwser.
      The mouthpiece is sealing well. I get a verry pleasant ''pop'' when i do it. The tone of the mouthpiece is very warm, full and dark, at least compared with my yamaha 4C. The high notes don't have a lot of projection. Strangely i feel more confortable playing it with a Vandoren bluebox 3.0. Seems like it squeaks less than the 2.5 or 2. I'm afraid i return it and they send me a worse one, since there is a lot of complaint about new otto link's finishing. I just feel strange knowing i'm playing a mouthpiece that is not symmetrical inside.
      I'm gonna send another pic, maybe it wasn't clear in the first one. I was looking for some baffle pics on google and this asymmetry seems to be quite frequent!?
      Thanks again

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

If your piece seals, you are fine for your first Link venture.

Do long tones. Evidently you have enough insight to hear in your head what you want the upper register to sound like. Doing long tones and concentrating on that sound you want will make it happen.

Dont be afraid to look on ebay and pick up one or two used/cheaper pieces in and around the opening you have. I got a couple under 100 bucks. Pick sellers with a high good feedback number. Just always clean it well before using. Self explanitory. Also, if you dont like it, just relist it yourself and get you money back.

The price of new mouthpieces is outrageous.

Reply To Post