Saxophone Forum

by moshe
(6 posts)
4 years ago

Martin Indiana Tenor x Conn 16M

Hello! Can someone help me? What is the best choice between Martin Indiana Tenor (1955, USA) vs Conn 16M (1657, USA)? Thank you

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Martin Indiana Tenor x Conn 16M

My choice would be the Martin Indiana.

Reply To Post

1. by moshe
      (6 posts)

4 years ago

Thank you. Can you tell me a little about your experience with these models?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

The Martin Indiana was considered a step down model from the Pro line of Martin at the time. BUT, the only true difference is in key work additions in the pro line, such as an ajustable thumb rest, a double socket neck, and more elaborate engraving and pads with resonators.The sound produced by the same Martin Brass was basically the same as the pro level horns. Made like a Sherman Tank.

The 16M is Conn's tenor design, AFTER the company had already passed its peak. It was an inferior horn to the "Legend" of Conn. Most were made in Mexico, as Conn was declining in the market and are OK student horns. The Mexican brass makes them less desireable as a horn to play and simply are made cheaply. Yours is a USA version, so the sound is not the worse but not the best either. They are made like a shiny brass bucket.

My experienced is based on 35 years of playing and owning Martin saxophones. I have 2 altos and two tenors. I have a few horns lets say.

Also, for  25 years I have been refurbishing vintage saxophones.

Ironically, the older Conns, up till around 1950 are the more desireable of the vintage saxes. That was when Selmer took over the Saxophone market with the release of the Mark VI. Conn just went into decline from there.

TMI? Sorry

Reply To Post

1. by moshe
          (6 posts)

4 years ago

Hello! Thank you very much for the information, it helped me a lot. The Conn 16M has serial 61xxxx, I believe it is from 1957. Martin Indiana (Tenor) has a 52xxx serial, I believe it is 1955. I thought Martin was better built, a masterpiece. I believe I will choose the Martin Indiana. I'll post some pictures of Martin and Conn. Thank you so much.

Reply To Post