Saxophone Forum

by tellmesomething2read
(4 posts)
4 years ago

Selmer France 1974 Mark VI Alto

confirm that this is indeed and 1975 Mark VII and give me a rough value given the apparent condition? was my father's sax and he has wanted it sold for decades. Serial number 229975. 

much appreciated.  

edit:
nope, it's Mark VI.

I'm saying $6.5k. My father says more, but I think sentmiment is affecting his appraisel. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Selmer France 1974 Mark VI Alto

It's a tenor, not an alto, but that's a good thing for you, as tenors sell for more than altos. Even so, I think you'd be hard pressed to get $6k+ for it. For the value on a Mark VI, it all comes down to 2 things : condition and serial number. Your horn looks to be in excellent physical condition, but the serial number is too high to get a premium price. If pads are new-ish, I think you could sell it relatively quickly in the $5000 range, maybe $5500 if you are prepared to hold out for a top price, but honestly I don't see it going for $6000 unless it is just about mint condition and you've already put a premium pad job in it. And even then, it wouldn't sell quickly.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

I agree completely with Jonhuff.

In a pandemic, 6500 is quite a retail price for a late model Mark VI. Nobody is out playing music in public right now.

I do live in Springdale, Close to you. I see you have it listed on Craigslist here locally.If you still have it in a few weeks, I may contact you. I refurbish and collect vintage saxophones, and vintage mouthpieces. It is a hobby of mine away from a Banking Career. I have eye surgery tomorrow, so I wont be playing for at least 10 days.

Its a nice looking horn.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

3. by tellmesomething2read
    (4 posts)

4 years ago

huge help knowing it's a tenor, JonHuff. much appreciated. 

sounds good, historicsaxwhisperer. my youngest brother and i are in cincinnati for a bit because we live in nyc and chicago respectively, which are covid hotbeds. there's a chance one of us will take the sax back with us to sell, as i imagine either of those locations are better markets. but if it's still up on cinci craigslist, it's available. hope your surgery goes well tomorrow. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

4 years ago

Dillon Music in New Jersy does consignment.

Paul Maslin, PM Winds in Chicago

They are  the go to music stores in those area.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by tellmesomething2read
        (4 posts)

4 years ago

^appreciaed. 

Reply To Post

2. by tellmesomething2read
      (4 posts)

3 years ago

as pointed out, this is actually a tenor. someone expressed interest in buying it. my brother and i really let selling it fall to the back burner, so it is still in our posession. if the individual who expressed interest in purchasing is still interested, please contact me. i'm in cinci for a week or so more.  

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

3 years ago

I saw it relisted here on Craigslist this week.

Contact Junkdude in Pinkerton Ohio. It is around Columbus.

www.junkdude.com is his site. He owns Morgam mouthpiece manufacturer and has a site/ and store front to sell horns and mouthpieces. He will probably give you a true realistic sale price. He may also list horns on consignment, so you could list it closer to what your dad feels it is worth. It just comes down to how soon do you want it done.

Good Luck

Reply To Post