Saxophone Forum

by opaulofranco
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Conn alto sax

Hi guys, anyone can tell which model is a Alto sax with the serial number "H01419"? 
I've found some cart online that says it is from 1966, but I don't know exactly which model is that. 
Many thanks!! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Conn alto sax

This is a student level horn. Conn made a lot of these. It is often simply called the stars and ribbons model.

Yours was made in the USA, as is stated in the engraving. Eventually production was moved out of Elkhart Indiana and sent to Mexico. Your horn is the last example of a Conn saxophone that I would say is a pretty stable and well made instrument.

They can be picked up any day for around 200 US dollars.

Your age of 1966 is probably about right.

I looked at your photos on your site. What horn are you playing in those pictures?

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by opaulofranco
      (2 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Conn alto sax

Many thanks for your answer! It is very clarifying! 
      I'm using 2 Alto saxes on my pics, the golden lacked is a Yamaha YAS-62, and the silver plated is a Dolnet Paris Series II (#28XXX) probably from the 40's  :)) I have only a few pics on my website, there's more pics on my Instagram and Facebook, the links are on my website as well. It's @opaulofranco anyway :))) 

I don't have the Yamaha anymore, unfortunately. The Dolnet is still with me, it's the one I'm playing everyday. It is a good horn although a bigger effort is needed to play all on tune sometimes. I'm about the replace its pads, it's being a bit hard to play already.  We don't have access to so many goods here Portugal (where I am living now), I've bought the pads and shellac from US, I'm still waiting for it to arrive. 

I  need one more sax, even a cheap one which I can at least work with, I play most smooth jazz and pop stuff, a few of jazz as well (some standards). I saw this Conn on eBay, bought and regret right after that because I realized that it could be a "shooting stars" that no one likes (I never tried) and ended asking the seller to cancel it, the price was only 150usd but I would have to pay about 100usd for shipping it.. 
      I'm thinking about buying a Selmer Bundy 2 that I saw online in UK, it arrives fast and I don't need to pay taxes, they are selling it for 240£ (kinda 300usd) + 20 bucks to deliver it here, do you think it's a better option?  Any suggestion else? I'm hearing :))

Many thanks!! 

Reply To Post