Saxophone Forum

by teknokill
(3 posts)
4 years ago

Buescher Aristocrat vs. Yanagisawa

I have been out of the Sax game for a long time.  I was a good player back in the day and I want to pick up Tenor Saxophone that is anywhere between $1500 and $2500.  I have two offers right now between an Aristocrat Buescher 1939 Low Pitch and a Yanagisawa T900 (no u).   I want a sax that has a great natural resonant sound and intonation.  I know that the player is the key.  The Buescher is so old and that scares me.  I've read that this is one of the best Pre-War Buescher's out there.   I had a Buescher before, but can't honestly remember too much about it.  I did remember it had a great sound to it.  I was gigging with a band back in the mid 90s with a Buescher.  The Yani looks more modern and polished.  

What do you think,  Buescher Aristo Low Pitch 1939 or Yani T900?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat vs. Yanagisawa

I paly mostly Vintage horns.

I have a Buescher Big B Baritone from the late 40s

A 1964 Selmer Mark VI tenor

A 1921 Conn curved Soprano

And a 1996 S 80 II selmer alto

I refurbish Vintage saxophones and have for close to 30 years.

Go with the Yanagisawa.

You have to be into the vintage horn scene to love it, or you just wont.

The Yanny will be well made, easier to work on, and not have possible ancient damage that may need addressed. The modern day keywork is also a plus for the Yanny.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by teknokill
      (3 posts)

4 years ago

Thanks for replying.  I figure I just need to get back to playing and once I start going, if I want to drop a few bucks 2 years from now I just go out and try to find a Buescher Aristocrat. You definitely influenced me towards the Yani.  

Original Quote:
      "I paly mostly Vintage horns.

Reply To Post

2. by teknokill
      (3 posts)

4 years ago

Big Difference between the Yanagiswa T900 or the T901?  What about the Selmer Series II  I can get the T900 for around $1800, T01 is higher.  It's from Reverb.  I kind of scared to buying something online, but reverb looks more reputable.  There is a T901 for about the same price, but it being bid on.  It is the black coated one and is from Israel.  I'm still very nervous about a transaction like this.  Which one would you go with?  

What about the Yanagisawa vs. the Selmer Paris Super Action 80 II....I've go the Guy down to $2400 on the Selmer.  Looks like it is from the mid 90s

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

I dont have any experience playibng a Yanny tenor, but they are great pro horns.

I own a 1996 SA80 II alto, so I would have no problem with the Selmer tenor. The Selmer will hold its value. 2400 for a SA80II tenor is a very good price.

Good Luck on your final decision.

Reply To Post