Saxophone Forum

by altocbrute
(9 posts)
3 years ago

using scales for improv

At this point, I know the major and minor scales in 12 keys. My teacher in high school never taught me about modes and encouraged me to focus on scales. However, I'm now at a point where I want to develop my improv skills but I'm not sure how to best use scales to develop melodic lines over chords. Can I, for instance, use the notes of a harmonic minor scale over a min7 chord? Melodic minor scale? What about the bebop scale or blues scale? How do I know I can use the notes of those scales over any particular chord? Also, is knowledge of modes necessary or will scales be sufficient for improv? I hear people say different things so I'm not sure what direction to take. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by altocbrute
    (9 posts)

3 years ago

Re: using scales for improv

never mind, i just saw a previous thread mentioning the jazz theory book by mark levine. I'm going to buy that, read it, see if it makes sense, and I'll report back to here. but please, any insight in the mean time would be appreciated. thank you

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

3 years ago

It sounds like you found one of my old posts.

ALSO, use you tube. There is endless opportunities to improv, make mistakes, figure out what does work, and build that inner voice. In a pandemic, where you have a laptop and earphones, you cant go wrong with wood shedding.

Just Keep at it.

Reply To Post

1. by altocbrute
        (9 posts)

3 years ago

Yes, I believe it was one of your old posts. Thanks for the reply and you're absolutely right. That's how it's always been done. 

Reply To Post

1. by minamarquis
          (1 post)

3 years ago

Some exercises can help, so running through scales in say arpeggios or other jumpy type ways. friday night funkin

Reply To Post