Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
3 years ago

Mark VI Soprano in C on ebay

There is a horn listed on ebay ($15,000) advertised as a Mark VI soprano in the key of C.

The seller, a french man in the states working for a music shop, states maybe 10 were made.

Any knowledge from you, Jon Huff, or Saxquest in general? Sort of an odd instrument for

Selmer to produce into the 1950s. Maybe a sopranino was my thought, but I am

probably wrong.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Mark VI Soprano in C on ebay

Sorry I'm late to the party. Yes, Selmer did make some Mark VI C sopranos. I have in my notes at work how many exactly (as well as how many C tenors, Mark VII sopranos and baris, etc). I think I even recorded the serial numbers of them, but I don't remember, it's been a few years since I poured over all the Selmer books. I'll chime in again on Monday with those figures.

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
      (117 posts)

3 years ago

OK. I did a quick glance through my notes. I spotted at least 7 C sopranos made during the "Mark VI" era. 3 of them were one-offs, like # 77316 which I believe was the one listed on ebay. 4 were made in a row together in the 561xx range. I've never seen one in person, so as to any keywork differences, that I can't speak to. I'm just going off of Selmer's official logs.

FYI they also made exactly 1 C soprano during the SBA era. Talk about rare. They also made 5 Mark VI curved sopranos between serial # 57071-75. Since these curved are close to the above C sopranos in serial #, I'm guessing Selmer was feeling particularly adventurous at the time and was tinkering with different things.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

3 years ago

Once again, some very cool stuff from you Jon.

I myself, being the Crazy Conn C Melody fan, think it is interesting, but not

fork out thousands of dollars, got to have it crazy interesting. I am more into the 20s era

and the horns from it than into the obscure. I always wanted to try a Selmer Low A alto, but I

have been told they are not much to write home about.

Thanks for sharing your detailed info.

Reply To Post