Saxophone Forum

by owenwalter2003
(1 post)
3 years ago

self saxophone overhaul

im thinking of buying an old 20s or 30s horn to try my hand at saxophone repair. Ive looking on music medic and see the saxophone repair kit and wonder if i should just order the repair tools that come with the kit and larger quantities of all supplies that need to be replaced on the horn. Im open to all suggestions and ideas for this project. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

3 years ago

Re: self saxophone overhaul

I don't know anything about Music Medic's "repair kit," but I say start with any basic tools you have, and go for it. If you find you enjoy it, you can always expand your repair bench with tools as you need them, and nothing beats experience. Take the horn apart, clean it, put in new pads and material, and then start diagnosing problems as you find them. These days there are plenty of tutorials online.

Reply To Post

2. by Rorschach
    (2 posts)

3 years ago

Re: self saxophone overhaul

I thought the same thing so I purposely bought the worst C-Melody I could find on Ebay. If I am going to learn repair, then get one that really needs it. Big mistake. Start with a working horn that needs a bit of repair and take it apart, clean, new pads where needed, regulate it, etc. 

Reply To Post