Saxophone Forum

by kjnylin
(6 posts)
3 years ago

C. G. Conn Alto #36102

Found this at an estate sale.  Had planned on donating it to the school districts music department.  After finding out how old it is, I thought it might be to valuable? It's the nickel plated version without any major dents and has some plating missing at the bottom and on a few keys. The original case is in great condition.  What might it be worth? Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

3 years ago

Re: C. G. Conn Alto #36102

Photos showing more construction details would have been nice, but it looks to be a New Wonder alto.  These horns can be made to play well, but there is little value to altos and tenors unless they are gold or silver plated.  Definitely worth less than $400, and likely to be less than $200.  Also, not a big market for this model. 

Reply To Post

1. by kjnylin
      (6 posts)

3 years ago

Here are a couple more photos.  Based on the serial number chart,  it's a "New Invention ". 1914-1915. It has two mouth pieces. One marked KingA. The other is unmarked. It's a shame these are not more valuable considering the age.  I will do as I originally planned and get it serviced and donate it to my local school district. It will be worth a lot to a kid that would otherwise not be able to afford one. 

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

That is a pretty ancient horn.

There have been too many advances in saxophones develpment and millions made since then, so it has little value.

The case looks pretty stable.

Is there a mouthpiece with it?

I didn't look before I started typing.

Sometimes they are worth much more than the horn.

250 is a push on its value.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by kjnylin
      (6 posts)

3 years ago

There are two mouth pieces.  One is marked KingA. The other is unmarked.  Based on the serial number chart it's a "New Invention". 1914-1915.  

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

3 years ago

Those look a lot like the "King Equa-Tru" mouthpieces offered on eBay for a wide range of prices.  There might be additional markings under the ligatures.  If you can verify the model and they're in decent shape, they should be worth something.  

The saxophone has more value as a curio than as an instrument.

Reply To Post

1. by kjnylin
          (6 posts)

3 years ago

I may just hang on to the "KingA" and see what I can get for it. I will give the unmarked one away with the sax for the school music program.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

Are the mouthpieces identical other than the lack of markings on one?  They could both be worth something.

Reply To Post