Saxophone Forum

by Didz
(3 posts)
3 years ago

Age of Yanagisawa T992UL

Hi. I have the chance to buy a Yanagisawa T992UL in bronze and I have a couple of questions.
It appears to be quite old but the serial number does not appear to be in any listings.  The number is 00319902.  Can anyone help me to find its age, please?  Also, the body of the sax is quite discoloured and patchy.  Is this normal for a bronze 992?  Shoud I polish it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Age of Yanagisawa T992UL

It being that online serial number charts for Yanagisawa all seem to go as far as 2000, all I can suggest is extrapolating the rate of annual production indicated by serial numbers pre-2000 to arrive at an estimate for 319902.  My best guess would be the early 2010s.  The "UL" designation means that it is unlacquered, which leads to the instrument acquiring a tarnished patina.  That's the way some like it.  It's a great instrument, but if your priority is having something shiny it might not be the horn for you.

Reply To Post

1. by Didz
      (3 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks for your help.  This iwill be the first bronze instrument that I have bought, hence the "shiny" question. It has been in its case for five years, untouched by the previous owner.  It has some issues and will need a service.  Apart from that, it's lovely!

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

3 years ago

The big question now is, are the costs of the needed service reflected in the price?  If they are, you've got a deal on a fine instrument.

Reply To Post

1. by Didz
          (3 posts)

3 years ago

It's very difficult to assess how much a service will cost because I just know it is not playing right but don't know why.  Could you please advise as to how much this might cost> Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

That's only possible to answer by someone who has inspected the horn and knows the scope of the needed service.

Reply To Post