Saxophone Forum

by MarcheSlave
(7 posts)
3 years ago

Alto Sax Indiana Band Instrument Co.

Good day guys, Martin Sax Lovers :)

Please help me to identify the year of manufacture of my alto sax.
Indiana Band Instrument Co. Serial No. 4056, No front F.  Pictures enclosed.

Thanks in advance for your generous help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by DANWILLI
    (3 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Indiana Band Instrument Co.

It appears to be 1930.   http://themartinstory.net/version7/whatyou-how-old.php

Daniel B. Williams

Reply To Post

1. by MarcheSlave
      (7 posts)

3 years ago

Thank you so much for your quick response.
      Best regards

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

3 years ago

I am not sure that you got the correct answer.  The answer assumes that it is an Indiana model made by Martin.  Those models are engraved "Indiana by Martin" on the bell.  But this was mentioned as "Indiana Band Instrument Co." which does not sound like the same instrument.  
        Very little of the horn was shown for examination, but it does look like it has a rectangular G# key bar, and the Martin Indiana's had full rounded G# key bars.
        I think it will be necessary to show of photograph of the bell engaving, the serial number, and maybe the left hand pinky table in order to have a chance to identify this horn. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

Daniel got it right.  IBIC was a subsidiary of Martin, formed in 1928 to distribute budget lines of instruments made by Martin, with their own serial sequence.  It was folded into Martin in 1942 and its serial sequence was continued for the "Indiana by Martin" models.  The serial number on this example corresponds to 1930.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

3 years ago

That is very interesting.  I had read about IBIC in the history section of "the martin story", but  I was not aware that IBIC horns were made with Martin serial numbers.  This is good information.  Thanks for adding it to this thread.

Reply To Post

3. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

Just to be clear, the Indiana by Martin serial numbers continued the IBIC sequence and were not within the mainline Martin sequence.  That has caused confusion regarding the production dates of the Indiana by Martin models.

Reply To Post

4. by DANWILLI
          (3 posts)

3 years ago

Thank you for verifying my information. I've researched and studied for countless hours the history of Elkhart, Indiana saxophone manufacturing, and really had to hunt to determine this saxophone's manufacturing year due to the "fluid" intertwining history of several of the manufacturers, especially Martin.

Daniel B. Williams

Reply To Post

2. by MarcheSlave
        (7 posts)

3 years ago

Guys,

Thanks so much for your comments/replies.

I attached some pictures of my 1930 Indiana Alto Sax :)

Best regards

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

3 years ago

One of my favorite altos, and actually my first horn, is a 1930ish Premeir American alto stencil made by Martin. I have seen them with and without the front F. They all have the forked Eflat cup around front and below the D cup, like yours. I have a Selmer SA 80 II from the 1990 that is a great horn, but I still seem to prefer my old Martin stencil horn when Im playing alto. They have a great voice.

Reply To Post

1. by paulkapil08
            (1 post)

3 years ago

I think it will be necessary to show of photograph of the bell engaving, the serial number, and maybe the left hand pinky table in order to have a chance to identify this horn. 

Reply To Post

1. by MarcheSlave
              (7 posts)

3 years ago

Good day,

I already attached the photographs you wish to see on my previous comment/reply.

Regards  

Reply To Post