Saxophone Forum

by prestant8
(1 post)
3 years ago

Saxophone Won't Play Anymore

I've been playing the alto saxophone for about 8 years now. I started in middle school and am in college now. Recently, I have rarely been able to get any sound out of my saxophone. I've tried different reeds, ligatures, and replaced the mouth piece. When I sit down to practice, it will usually play, but then all of a sudden, I'll try to play and get nothing. It's a guessing game: when I put the mouthpiece in my mouth, will I be able to make a sound? Even when it does play, though, I have to push very hard and it's really not enjoyable anymore. I had the saxophone tuned up a few months ago, and it worked a little bit better then. While it was in the shop, I played a different one. It felt buttery smooth and played how mine used to, so I really don't think it's anything with my embouchure or technique. I realize that the solution will probably just be upgrading my saxophone, which I plan on doing, but does anybody know why this could be happening? I believe it's a Yamaha YAS-23, so I've outgrown it anyway. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Saxophone Won't Play Anymore

Does the neck fit tightly. It sounds like a loose neck.

Reply To Post

2. by gbelluscio
    (2 posts)

3 years ago

Honestly, it could be so many different things.  My first thought (after the initial reed, mouthpeice, and embrochure thoughts) is that there is probably play in the keys on your current horn and as you use it maybe it move outs of alignment?  That doesn't necessarily explain why it would play at first though....

There could also be build ups of water in your horn that can mess with all sorts of things when playing.  If there is enough it can cause even open keys to play as if they are closed or partially closed which wil cause issues.

It also may be that you have grown as a player enought this this horn just doesn't jive with you anymore.  A better horn will have so many benefits it may be worth your time, especially if you are playing at a college level.

Reply To Post

3. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

3 years ago

A YAS-23 is a good horn, and can be properly repaired to play very well.  It sounds like you have a bad leak that should be repairable. There is no reason a good tech cannot make this horn play like it used to.  I recommend that you take it to a good tech, and get a repair estimate for the horn.  Then compare the repair cost to the price for buying a new horn before coming to a final decision.  

Reply To Post