Saxophone Forum

by agc8
(25 posts)
3 years ago

Clarence Clemon's' sax's

Does any one know exactly which saxes he owned and played? I heard he was a big Keilwerth fan for a good part of his career? At least when he played for Srpingsteen in the E-Street Band.

I did Google...no luck...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Clarence Clemon's' sax's

If Clarence Clemons was playing a Keilwerth prior to the late 1980s, it was probably a Keilwerth stencil sold under another brand.  Keilwerths were sold in the US as the King Tempo, Couf Superba, Conn DJH Modified, and Armstrong Heritage.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
      (25 posts)

3 years ago

Funny companies did that. I think I heard Conn before they were bought out by Buffet Crampon used Yanagisawa sax's and put their name on some horns.  

I knew Clemons played on a Keilwerth...and I sort of heard "King". I wasn't sure if it wasn't a King Super 20 or one of the other vintage horns.  

Any idea what mouthpiece he used with the King/Keilwerth?  

Odd this information is hard to Google...

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

3 years ago

Conn was never owned by Buffet Crampon and never sold Yanagisawa saxophones. They did sell some Keilwerth stencils in the 1980s.  Conn-Selmer is different from Conn and they distribute Yanagisawas.

Keilwerth stencils from the 1960s to the 1980s were commonly their "Toneking" model, although that was not the model name they were sold under - another possible source of confusion with other instruments sold by King Musical Instruments.

Here's a link to a more thorough discussion of Keilwerth stencils.

Keilwerth History :: SaxPics.com

Reply To Post