Saxophone Forum

by lexi.silva
(1 post)
2 years ago

Vintage Bari Sax

Hello there! I have an "unknown" brand vintage baritone sax I am trying to get some information on. The history is slightly confusing... On the back of the horn it says the following:
PATD SEPT 14, 1915
B
L

if you have any info as to when this horn was made, who actually manufactured it, please let me know. I looked up the serial number and it could have been a Buescher or Selmer but there's no insignia for either of those companies on this horn.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

2 years ago

Re: Vintage Bari Sax

That was manufactured by Conn.

It is a secondary line and may have just about anything, or nothing, at all as far

as a manufacturer on the bell.

With that said, the older conn baritones are in general quited desired.

If it is in overal good condition with a straight/unmangeld body tube and everything

is aligned nicely, and you got the original neck, its got some value. Its near impossible to tell by pictures. That requires an in person evaluation.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

2 years ago

Re: Vintage Bari Sax

Conn moved the bell keys to one side on their Bari saxes around 1930. so, yours is after that.

The upper line of instruments had a different brace from the bell to body, probably 12M on the back by the serial number. I included a picture of mine, which is right at that point in Conn's development.  It looks to be in very good condition. If you decide to sell it, let us know and some of us will be interested enough to find any online listing you may place.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post