Saxophone Forum

by 10rsax
(19 posts)
18 years ago

1963 Mark VI Bari sax, set up

After my uncle's death, late 80's, his bari was loaned and not returned. After the borrower died a few months ago it was returned! Surprisingly good shape w/ no dents and 95% laq. It has a Berg 100-0-M, but it's hard for me to jump octives, or play too fast and not get some off tones. Bari guys help me out here! Mike

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 1963 Mark VI Bari sax, set up

Do you generally play alto or tenor? You need to put more mouthpiece in your mouth when playing the bari. Switching from alto to bari makes me feel like I'm practically swallowing the mouthpiece (not hardly, but the difference is big). Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by 10rsax
      (19 posts)

18 years ago

I play tenor the most , then sop, then alto! The bari thing is, of course, new, however, I can't put the thing down. I did try your sugg and got better response fast! I'm wondering what set up might work better for new bari chops, than the Berg.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I can't help you with setup issues, because I have always worked with whatever I have. Hopefully someone else will be helpful. I, too, play Tenor, then Soprano, then alto. I have no access to a bari now, but played it for a year or so in college. I might get some time on it again if my daughter brings one home from school. It's fun!

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

I went down the street to borrow a bari. I have a run for you practice that will help you. Start at low C. Play this: C D A C D C D A C D . Play that up and down slowly at first and later play it as fast as you can. That will get you crossing back and forth over the high and low registers. Blow through that bari wit h lots of air to support your notes. Your mouthpiece is fine. Make that baby roar!!!! :) Roll that riff from your lowest C to your highest D up and down. When you get it fast, it will sound nice and give control of the bari. Play your diminish runs up and down. OK i have a a good riff for you. As long as I have this bari here i might as well wring it out a bit. I need manuscript to write this, but we'll make it work. Start on your highest C. Play C C Bb G Bb C, Hang the C with vibrato. Then play G C F E. Hang the E up there with vibrato.. Then the blues scale down to the bottom. C Bb G Gb F Eb C Bb G Gb F Eb C Bb C. Hang the last C with vibrato. The bari is a beautiful instrument. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

jamterry, can you help by disgingushing between C and C? I suggest A0 B0 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1 C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2 C3 D3 E3 F3 G3, where the 0's are below Middle C, the ones from Middle C and up, the 2's from third-space C, and the 3's from the C above the staff. I'd more information on the riffs you suggest (and my daughter brought the bari home yesterday!)

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom I'll show you any riff you like, but I am a dummie when it comes to explaining stuff. Take that blues riff above the staff. C C Bb G Bb C . all that is above the staff. Hang the last C with vibrato. Then play G Bb F E, All above the staff. Make sure you don't flat the high F. and stretch the high E out. Pause just a bit and come barreling down that bari with your blues scale. When you come down, sigh into the mouthpiece. I had to play a gig some years back and used that for my bari solo. It was just a quick burst and then we got back into the chord progression. You are experienced and you can articulate. atahe other riff i came up with for crossing the registers. Start from low C and ascend to your D above the staff. Sax Mom you have a really sensible attitude,and I admire that. take care :)

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom I'll show you any riff you like, but I am a dummie when it comes to explaining stuff. Take that blues riff above the staff. C C Bb G Bb C . all that is above the staff. Hang the last C with vibrato. Then play G Bb F E, All above the staff. Make sure you don't flat the high F. and stretch the high E out. Pause just a bit and come barreling down that bari with your blues scale. When you come down, sigh into the mouthpiece. I had to play a gig some years back and used that for my bari solo. It was just a quick burst and then we got back into the chord progression. You are experienced and you can articulate. atahe other riff i came up with for crossing the registers. Start from low C and ascend to your D above the staff. Sax Mom you have a really sensible attitude,and I admire that. take care :)

1. by kennyj
            (24 posts)

18 years ago

Back to the subject ---------- The Berg could be a very good mouthpiece for that horn. I do believe that the zero baffle/chamber is a bit excessive. That will cause lots of higher partials, and cause you to not experience the true rich deep sounds that vintage of baritone can produce. Of all the mouthpiece wars I have experienced, I never really had a battle on the bari. My first real --big-time-- tour was on an early sixties Selmer baritone. I was fortunate to find a New York Meyer 7 in a pawnshop in Jersey! That was in 1978, and I've only played that mouthpiece on bari since. The long roll-over baffle, and medium chamber give the horn a robust sound, with plenty of volume and projection, and no problems blasting the sound through screaming brass sections. But on the same hand, I have several friends who do use metal Bergs, with wonderful results, tho none have the zero baffle/chamber.... most have a 2 or 3 chamber. Have fun!! You have a marvelous horn, there.... ii-V-I kenny j
            kennyj

Reply To Post