Saxophone Forum

by Sonny Swingin
(9 posts)
18 years ago

Vintage Suggestions

I am looking at vintage alto saxaphones because i am a junior in high school and can't bring my dads selmer to college. And I figure why not get a head start looking for and finding out who was who in the olden golden days of saxaphone. I know the big names, but need to know the pro's and con's of different models of Conn, Buescher and King. What is the action like, fingering awkward, reasonable price to find one at and any other facts you might know from who's played what to the saxaphone communities general preference. Help would be much appreciated and I can't wait to get responses. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vintage Suggestions

Depends on what you're using it for. If you're getting serious about legit, you have a different set of concerns than you would playing jazz. I don't do legit anymore, so keeping this in mind, I'll give you my take. I have an old ('33) Conn that just rips--I love that horn. Also have a King Super 20 tenor from the early 50s and a Holton soprano- love them too and for the same reasons. Great tone, intonation, and individuality. I have no problems with so-called archaic keywork. Maybe this issue is overblown, or maybe I'm just used to 'em. Specifically, the fast action and killer tone of the Conn 6M is hard to beat. Also add Martin to your list to check out. Wonderful horns! Hope to have been of some help.

Reply To Post

1. by Sonny Swingin
      (9 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks your post has helped, I definately am not a legit player, if you ain't swingin you ain't playin, but i was wondering what price is reasonable for a (33') Conn, I see Conn 6m's on ebay for like 650 and was wondering if this was reasonable, I don't want to pay 650 for a shitty horn that's a lemon, also I know laquer makes a huge difference, I am not in to the whole smooth jazz thing so i was wondering, knowing that what you would recomend Thanks Again

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

18 years ago

First, if you can find a Conn 6m in prime playing condition for $650, that would be a steal! Most of the time a 6m going for that low a price would need some sort of repair(s). (Average $ I've seen for a 6m in very good condition is around $1000 - $1200.) Second, a long story short: I went through college using a Selmer SA80 II. For me personally, it was great for my legit studies, but lacked the drive and edge I wanted for jazz / blues. After college, I ditched the Selmer and tried a bunch of horns looking for this tone (wasn't going to use legit very much in the world). I came across a "The Martin" saxes and was blown away by the sound, feel, etc. I now have an alto and a tenor both made in 1955. Plus, I only paid ~$800 a piece. I say try out as many horn / mpc combos as you can before you get your heart set on one particular thing. P.S. please keep an eye on the language... we'd hate to have you booted off before you got some valuable feedback from these awesome people on this site. Keep on playin'!!

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

I had my 10m tenor for half of my high school days, and got a 6m alto (both in the early 40's) before I went to college. I hardly play now though... BUT keywork is over-rated. It's just a matter of getting used to something new and different. I never noticed that my tenor was slower, or anything. I would just say try a lot of horns and have a open mind about things. I'm not sure if you would want to have your heart set on anything, or even the horn you finally buy. playing is a life long passion, and I'm sure you will hvae many horns though out your career... it's just a matter of finding one to get you though the next step. my buzzed .02 (gotta love 2 for 1's and biking to the bar!)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

Sonny, even though you are not a legit player if you want to major in music you will play your fair share of classical sax lit. I am a jazz studies major and have my full classical recital this semester. It is not my favorite by any means but it makes me a better musician. Check out Yamaha customs, Z, or 875. Both are great horns and fit both styles well. If you are set on a vintage horn King super 20, Conn, Buescher (pre 1965), make sure none of these are low pitched it is hard to tune these.

Reply To Post

3. by kennyj
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe we can hope your father will relent in the next year, or so.... If not, some important things to consider may include some of the following: If you are a music major, you will be playing classical. You will be involved in ensembles, meaning you will be seated while playing. Many vintage instruments are rather bulky and cumbersome to play seated (keep in mind, I say this, and play and love a 1939 Conn 10M tenor, tho my other horns are more modern) If you are going to be in a marching band, I've just joined your father, and you cannot have the Selmer. There are many modern-to-semi-modern saxes out there. You can purchase pre-Keilwerth Herb Couf saxophones at very reasonable prices, and they play superbly! Even as far as Selmer is concerned, you may find many Mark 7's at very reasonable prices. They play great, they just have an undeserved reputation, of not having a VI on them. Yanagisawa saxes are available, and do a wonderful job. They have been marketed as Leblanc Martin saxes, as Whitehall saxes, as well as their own Yanagisawa brand. Not to fault the American vintage horns, the Conn 6M, the Martin, even the King Super 20. Of those altos, I'd pick the Super 20, because of the more modern keywork, but 1 warning, Kings always need tinkering. They seem to go out of regulation by looking at them, but when they are in shape, they can really wow you! Have fun on your search.... keep us posted on your journey! ii-V-I kenny j
          kennyj

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

I am sorry to have to agree but you really should take a modern horn to college. Even if it is a Yamaha 52 or similar you would be better off because You will have to take your fair share of legit lessons, classes, performances. Myabe if your financially bad off, take out as much loans as you can as a freshman and use some of the money to buy a used modern horn. YOu can probably get a quality used horn that's good for 800-900. My friend Ebay or Saxquest. Modern horns decrees in value vs. vintage horns tend to go up. The reason you don't want a vintage horn early on is because of the legit playing and overall Sax growing. It's not uncommon for your college teacher to change everything you do on a sax. You want as bland but technically reactive horn as you can get. By your Junior year most jazz degrees don't have much legit requirements left. Then you can play whatever you want. I would sugest the same that everyone else is saying, Conn Naked Lady (6m) is probably the oldest conn I would play on. Transitionals are a little old for my taste. Kings and Martins are also very good horns. Friend has a King and I just love the keys and the bell design, and it just looks and sounds like a solid horn. friends in college had Martins, and they just scream. When it comes to American horns of the past, King Martin, and Conn are king. But if money isn't a problem, sadly Selmer still is top dog.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

18 years ago

For a good horn I would definately reccomend the Keilwerth Couf stencils (very nice) and also for a good tone, the Buescher True Tones.

Reply To Post