Saxophone Forum

by mikemco2
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Conn Vintage Sax?

I recently aquired a CONN vintage Sax in what I beleive excellent condition from a very nice elderly man. Told me he has has it in storage for many years in northern California. Has shiny brass and laquar finish, very few scratch's, pads in great condition and no dings with original good case. Can someone tell me about this Sax and what it might be worth? Here is the inf. if it helps. Nice engraving on bell with CG Conn Elkart U.S.A. Key below the pinky is knurled. The serial number is M236430 . A above the number and L below the number. One of you Sax pros help me out. Thankyou.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Vintage Sax?

It sounds like a 1929 Conn New Wonder series II, or Chu Berry alto saxophone. According to the serial number sequence, yours was probably made in late 1929 (www.drrick.com/conn.html) Conn started making changes in late 1929 leading up to the M series in 1934. Therefore, the horns made during this period are known as the "transitional series" horn; particularly those made between 1932 and 1934. If you could send me a couple pictures, that would help. If the saxophone is lacquered brass, then I would say most likely it has been refinished at some time. Most of these saxophones were silver plated. A few of them were gold nickel plated. Most saxophones were not lacquered brass until a couple years later. The value really depends on the condition. In good condition, these saxophones can bring $2000 or more, depending on the engraving, plating, etc. Generally, a New Wonder Series II alto in good condition is worth between $1200-$1500.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mikemco2
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn Vintage Sax?

Jim, thanks for your quick response. Maybe it's not brass but in fact gold nickel plated per inf. you provided. Regardless here are a few digital photos of it and perhaps you can briefly tell me more about it. img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mikemco2/conn_05.jpg img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mikemco2/conn_02.jpg

Reply To Post