Saxophone Forum

by Enviroguy
(5 posts)
18 years ago

I Love My Old Bundy!

Way back in the day (1970's) I got this Bundy Tenor Saxophone. Most folks just dismissed it as another crappy student model horn that was all too common in my poor hometown school band program. But as I learn to play the thing, I soon realized this baby was brighter and more powerful than any of the Kings, Conns and early Yamahas I ran in to. With the addition of a Selmer S80 mouthpiece, my Bundy was toned down enough to take me to All-Region bands and 1's at Solo & Onsomble while still blowing away all the brass in our 50 person marching band. ___________________________________ Now days, I have my Bundy set up with metal resonators and a silver Selmer Jazz mouthpiece-copy (yes, I'm cheap). It will grind and play like nothing else around. Today, most kids only hear muffled, even-pitched Yamahas in their school bands. They are often amazed at the sound that a fat middle-aged bald guy (me) can get out of an old cheap American made Bundy horn. ___________________________________ If you're short on cash and want a good horn to play throughout your school days and beyond. I highly recommend the old first-generation Selmer Bundy's (not the Bundy II). Have it thoroughly gone through by a good technician and set it up with a Selmer-Paris mouthpiece. But have the technician put in new plastic resonator pads. The metal resonators might get you kicked out of band for overpowering the trumpets. And enjoy!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by [email protected]
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I Love My Old Bundy!

If you get the sound that you want and you are happy with the sax stay with it. You could buy a very costly new sax and hate it. Better stay with what you enjoy playing - that's the whole point..........ENJOY

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by tutorjb1
    (10 posts)

11 years ago

Hi Rnviroguy!

I think you're absolutely right. I also LOVE my old Bundy i bought mine in 1965 and only wish I'd known it takes a metal mouthpiece to achieve a professional, "cool" jazz sound. I've got 3 custom plastic/hard rubber mouthpieces to go with mine. I played in every school band(solo tenor in all the jazz bands) for decades and as the primary sax player in Blues Brothers-type performing bands as well. Even opened the 1974 N.C. Collegiate Jazz Festival on it when I wasn't playing bass. Two months after that concert I was a passenger in a bad auto accident and had to give up playing so it has sat safely in its red velvet-lined hard shell case for 30 years and needed new pads and corks so I had it overhauled.

I'm known as a good musician in N.C., so expect to sell it locally for $1,000 now that I need puter junk more than fine instruments like a Selmer-made Bundy tenor sax. Of course I took very good care of it and it doesn't have a single scratch or dent and it's from a time when all the keys and posts were made of mother-of-pearl. Nowadays even new Selmers have mere plastic keys.

Congratulations on your old Bundy and keep playing

Yours,

tutorjb1 :-)

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

11 years ago

Glad you had a good Bundy experience, but don't expect $1000 for it.

Reply To Post

1. by tutorjb1
        (10 posts)

11 years ago

Hi

What do new Bundy tenors cost? Mine's been overhauled by Duncan Music and people who have heard me play rock and jazz have been begging me to sell it to them for decades.

What do you think the most I can get for it is?

Thank you,

tutorjb1 - JB

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

11 years ago

Check actual selling prices (not asking prices) on closed eBay listings to get an idea what they're going for.  Probably $500 or less.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

I picked up an old 1970s bundy alto in its original throw back plastic molded case this past weekend for 60 bucks at a garage sale. As I refurbish horns for a hobby, I thought Id use it for my grandkids to learn on or simply for a free loaner whenever I have a students horn for a few days and they need a horn for band.

I Looked it over to see the expected war wounds from a horn a student used.

Missing cage lock down screws, two cage feet needing resoldered. Dings here and there, bend down rim lip, a couple non resonator, cheapest available rivet pads, that are too small for for the key cup, needing a new neck cork. Nothing major, just what makes us techs deal with daily that run up a repair bill. Normal issues caused by studen players.

After I do my work on it, nothing major just taking up my time, I will have a great playing alto. I compare it to a 1924 brass Buescher True Tone I have in stock. Yes they are the same horn, just a stripped down version of a true American vintage horn. I smile at the similarities and the inevitable downfall of the American horn market.

Then I look at the market. All the Kids get together in band holding their red, purple, brightly colored taiwan made horns and realize, this bundy is just the new ugly duckling for the kids to make fun of. More than half the players will quit and the other half  will move on to a horn that wont fall apart. One that wont bend if you squeeze the bell too hard.

Then I remember in my Senior year of HS, I had my wonderful 1964 Selmer Mark VI that I played for hours every day. But that first chair alto player that never practiced and always could sight read the pants off anybody was sitting there with his Bundy Alto and his Silver selmer alto mouthpiece chewing all of us up. Still blowing a wonderful sound.

So I salute the Bundy. Pick it up for 60 bucks. Put 200 bucks into it to get it playing real nice, and it is still worth less than you have into it. Its like that 95' toyota corolla with 250K miles on it that is worth nothing. Except this horn, unlike an old car, will not die. 10 years from now the market will be saturated with cheap multi colored horns that nobody plays or repairs and the Bundy will be making its rightful vintage beat around comeback. Never March with your upper end gem horn, pick up a bundy. Its hard to kill.

Reply To Post

3. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Also remember the horns marked "Bundy Special" horns were actually made by keilwerth, and are great honkers!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

i saw a buescher 400 from the same year as my bundy , 1970, it looked very similar, as expected. yes my bundy is also very nice and im sure the snobs will say we are both full of it, but i agree good advice.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

Glad you have such great horns. Enjoy!

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

18 years ago

I like bundys. The 70s-80s iteration of the Bundy name derived it's design from the Buescher Aristocrat, or so I'm told. I'm not too fond of their keywork. I have yet to find one that isn't oversprung.

Reply To Post

2. by SAXKID05
              (6 posts)

18 years ago

do some justice to the saxophone and get a real sax

Reply To Post

3. by JZ
              (83 posts)

18 years ago

I Love Bundy!

I read somewhere that Coltrane was seen (photo'd) walking out of a club late one night (well, on more than one occasion) carrying a Bundy case. And that these people believe that this was his second horn (viz., carrying two sax cases). Anyone else hear that story? It's supposed to be definitive evidence that: whatever works for you, and don't be too quick to judge, etc. Of course, this would be one of them older Bundys (Bundies?). Coltrane played a Bundy. Maybe.

Reply To Post

4. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I Love Bundy!

I havent heard that story, BUT Bundy's are good horns, in my opinion. Absolutely one of the greatest to learn on, and keep for the rest of your life. There are obviously better saxes out there, but I am a bit of a Bundy supporter!

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

18 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------- Bundy's are good horns, in my opinion. Absolutely one of the greatest to learn on, and keep for the rest of your life. There are obviously better saxes out there, but I am a bit of a Bundy supporter! --------------------------------------------------------------- Yup. I think they're the best horns you can *regularily* find for $450 or less (for alto)

Reply To Post

6. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

18 years ago

I have still got the Bundy that i started out on. I will never get rid of it! I am considering removing the laquer on it. I don't know yet.

Reply To Post

7. by jacobeid
              (24 posts)

18 years ago

I have a bundy 2 and considering its price, I wouldn't use another student line horn. Of course I'd rather take my selmer paris series 3 over it but thats a whole different ball park. Slap on a nice mouthpiece and they don't sound too shabby.

Reply To Post