Saxophone Forum

by saxigurl
(8 posts)
18 years ago

A-440?

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it means to say a sax has an A-440 frequency and how do you tell if that's the frequency you have?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A-440?

A=440 means the concert pitch (2nd B on tenor ,low F# on alto ,2nd F# on bari ,low B on soprano and 1st A on C melody ) all sound as 440Hz and if you go up an octave it would be 880Hz. Low pitch on vintage horns means 440 Hz and high pitch is above this so they cannot be used in modern music. A standard guitar tuner with a microphone for tuning acoustic guitars can be used for tuning a saxophone but all horns from around 1926 were low pitch except a few made by conn and possibly hawkes and son which went to low pitch by around 1930 Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

The 440 is the scientific frequency of the wave made by the tone. On high-pitch horns, A was at a frequency of 400, I believe.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

If you want a true A=440, get an A tuning fork. I use that one and a C=523.25 too. They are also a good demonsrtration for kids learning about pitch. Electronic tuners are great but not absolutely true. Sometimes I have to tune my synths as high as A=444. A=440 is the A above middle C on the piano. C=523.25 is the C above that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxigurl
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

So in order to know if my saxophone is an A-440 pitch I have to use a tuner to see?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

if your sax was made after 1930 it will be modern pitch A=440. High pitch were more like A=456

Reply To Post

1. by saxigurl
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

hmmm, I was just wondering b/c someone asked me if my saxophone was A=440 or A=442 and I didn't know what it was, do you think if it was made after 1930 it could have an A=442 pitch?

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

i doubt it but what sax do you have and then i can tell you 100% on its pitch Dave

Reply To Post

3. by saxigurl
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

I have a SML Gold Medal w/ serial number 19216

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

That was made in 1965 and is definately lo pitch A=440 Dave