Saxophone Forum

by Alto_Guy
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Help with an old horn...

Hello everyone...I am a semi-pro alto/soprano player and I have recently gotten into vintage horns. I own a 1950 Conn 6M and its quite a machine...I have just purchased another horn, and I can't seem to find ANYTHING out about it. The brand name on i is Beaufort. It also says Chicago on the bell. This, plus the design, lead me to believe that it is a Martin. I just purchased it on ebay for a great price, but I would like to know as much about it as I can. If anyone has the opportunity to buy one of these horns, I would say definitely do it!! The key work is a little below the level of my 6M, butr the tone is just amazing! I play mostly bop wih a Meyer hard rubber and it sounds awesome. For pictures, you can search ebays completed listings for item number 7358942263, it should come up. Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Alto_Guy
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

Help with an old horn...

Sorry, actually you don't have to search ebays completed listings, you just have to put the item number in where you search and it should come up, thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help with an old horn...

Thats a stencil by martin and its a martin handcrafted model, check out www.saxpics.com for some nice pics of martins or saxquest may have a martin handcraft in the data. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Alto_Guy
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

It does seem to be a handcraft...But what would you say is the date of manufacture? Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

I would say 1926 at the latest as it does not have the aux high F key. This was introduced around 1925-26 on martin horns Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Alto_Guy
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks a LOT for your help...If you or anyone else can tell me anything further regarding Beaufort horns I would appreciate it, but this is exactly what I needed to know!

Reply To Post