Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
18 years ago

Soprano Saxophone Mute

Hi, I'm rather ignorant about saxophone mutes, but saw soprano saxophone mutes on ebay. The description says they were introduced by Marcel Mule, and that you can get more information in the book by Larry Teal, "The Art of Saxophone Playing." Both those names I know, but I don't have the book. My question is, how is the mute used? Does it sit inside the bell, or does it wrap around it? If it sits inside, does that mean it only works on a curved soprano? Polite responses will be appreciated, since it's an honest question. Sarcastic sneers at my ignorance I will ignore. :-) Thank you all for reading my silly question.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Soprano Saxophone Mute

I've never really used a mute on sax except for practicing. My dad had one in the case of the old 10M from his college days. Putting a mute on a sax like a 10M is like putting a governor on a big block Corvette, but dad said that when he was playing at Michigan State, the director required the saxophones to use a mute on certain parts. Anyway, I left the case open one day while practicing and I think the dog got ahold of the mute and that was the end of it. Most of them that I have seen are a felt material and look like a donut that fits into the bell. I've never used one on soprano, but I wouldn't think that it would fall out if it was placed inside of the bell. They're not very heavy and should fit inside snug enough not to fall out. I can see where it might be nice for soprano to take away some of the shrill overtones and give it a softer, more mellow sound. Of course, you could always just stuff a pair of socks in the bell! I've done that before too and it pretty much has the same effect! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

Don't feel bad, Mom, I'm just as ignorant as you are about sax mutes. Here's MY question about them: Will mutes cause the lower register of the horn to go out of tune?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

NO, they are more so gonna bring it into tune. Mainly, they are going to reduce overtones, that the main thing they do, giving a "purer" sound. They wont signifigantly reduce volume or anything like that

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

The pictures on the ebay ad I saw made them look like a donut. I could see where the notes with all the keys shut might have intonation problems. On a straight soprano, I would guess they'd fall out, though, unless they are rubber instead of wood. ?????

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

They are wood and wrapped in cloth. They usually stay in on a straight sop actually

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Do you use them regularly? Do you find intonation problems on the "closed" notes?

Reply To Post

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Ive had no intonation troubles with them. And although I have them, and have used them, the only place where they are every really been useful is OCCAISIONALLY on the alto sax. Mostly on the other horns they are a nice toy to help change the sound

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by Fred12
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

I made one after seeing the picture in Larry teal's book. You need a ring a little smaller than the ID of the bell area - I used a piece of a white PVC plumbing coupling, cut it short with a hacksaw and wrapped it with a couple layers of old towel material, then taped over the loose end so it wouldn't unravel. It does lessen the higher overtones but it also cuts the volume down, nice if your practicing is bothering the neighbors.

Reply To Post