Saxophone Forum

by enohpoxas
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Trying to decipher the year for this Conn alto Sax I have for sale.

I consulted the Conn Ltd. website, but can't get a handle on the serial number system. My sax has 6 numbers, then a letter; 5 numbers, then a letter. Which is the serial number and where does it correspond to the chart???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Trying to decipher the year for this Conn alto Sax I have for sale.

Depends if its vintage or not. Early conns have a tone hole patent number then the letter A underneath (for alto ) then the serial number preceeded by the letter M then letter L underneath (H for high pitch) eg 88888888 A M 123456 L later conns have a date code before the serial eg H12345 FOR 1970 ETC Dave

Reply To Post

1. by enohpoxas
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Dave, based upon this information, I am still unable to interpret the code. Here are the numbers: 119954 C 51701 L. I am told it is and alto, but there's no "A" as you mentioned. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Nope, not an alto, but a Straight neck C-melody sax(between an alto and a tenor) That is why there is a C instead of an A.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Yes definition is correct its a C melody from made in 1919. Should be around 27 inches long Dave

Reply To Post

2. by enohpoxas
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for this helpful information. Now, where do I go to assess its value? It's in good condition, but pads need to be replaced.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I would go to a reputable technician. Often they can do evaluations for insurance purposes.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It sounds like a straight-neck Conn C Melody. If it's in good condition, the average is $300-$500. Restored and in excellent condition, they're worth $800-$1000. Even a parts horn is worth $200.

Reply To Post Yahoo!