Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
18 years ago

Reversing my tone...

this entire school year i have been working to get a bright, edgy, in your face tone.. well, im there hahaha.. but i think i have over done it.. now theres no substance to my tone.. i get a mixture of an "ahhh" and "EEE" sound.. kinda like a bad trumpet tone.. thats hte only thing i can compare it to.. i still like my overall tone.. but what would i do to kinda backstep a lil bit and create a true, sax tone.. warm, lush.. yet bright and in your face.. does that even make snse? would long tones, overtones, scales, and listening help me get back to a less irritating and tinny tone?? my setup: yanagisawa 901 Selmer E soloist Vandoren java 3 reed and a rovner dark lig i wanna try and get a rovner light lig however cuz i feel it opens up my sound a lot.. i REALLLYYY like the older rovners.. before they came up with the dark light etc... i put my sax teachers on for a lil while and i just loved it for some reason.. i told him id trade him.. he laughed

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by birdwho
    (15 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reversing my tone...

Work on voicing. If you haven't already started this with your teacher definantly start. Your sound, aside from your set up, is all about your airspeed and throat control. Think of the sounds ohh and awwhhhh when playing. You really have a brightness problem with a soloist? weird.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

your using a java reed...those are bright sounding reeds in the upper register, you could try getting just regular concert reeds. I know that if you turn your embrocure more into a smile its brighter, so try changing that a little.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

as far as setup goes Legit players usually use rovner light and ZZ vans. That could at least be a good place to start. Keep the jave 3 and the dark for your jazz setup. Concerning tone. Alot of players loose their tonal focus in the top end. When your playing that altisimo A just remember it needs to have the same quality of sound as second space A should have. I usually will play long tones of both and compare all of them (did I mention A is my favorite note on Sax?) . Did the altisimo A or Above the staff A sound as sweet as the second space A? Does it have the same fullness? With a tuner, are they all in tune? If they are out of tune, are they all in the same area? Like all slightly flat or sharp? You can't allways be exactly in tune, but you at least want to stay consistant. Or know that certain notes need special attention. For instance, are you biting to cause the upper A's to go sharp? The bad news is not only are they going sharp, but if your closing the reed your shutting down your sound. Keep that throat open and thouse teeth away from the reed!! I tend to tune as close to in tune as possible, if anything a little flat. That way if the concert goes long or I am getting tired I don't go sharp. Ya the sound will still suffer from the closed airway, but at least the pitch is still manageable. If you tune sharp, and your airflow closes, your justing gonna go sharper. So now your gonna have a weak sound and stick out like a sore thumb.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM