Saxophone Forum

by gregoryrh
(21 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer Reference 36

Another topic I forgot about. Today I stumbled onto a Selmer Reference 36 tenor on sale by consignment at my local music store. The tone and action were very good. It had been played for about a year by the owner, then he found a Mark VI. The shop were it is for sale has maintained the horn for the past year. The price was $3,900. Good or not?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gregoryrh
    (21 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer Reference 36

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

If its anything like the reference 54 ALTO i would buy it, but you can try other saxophones just to make sure your not missing out on something better.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Gregery I am sure it is a fine horn, but let me tell You something I bouthg a SM6alto in 69 and love it, i bought a m7 alto from a friend for half the cost of any m6 or ref. horn's and let me tell You it plays better than My m6 alto.. I could not beleive it since the m7 has no reputation, because of the lack of respect it has You can find a tenor for 2500 - 3000.. I sugest You try one first.... a friend who is 80 gave Me his Conn alto he bought in 1932, I think it has a more mellow sound than the selmer alto's i own..it ios an unbeleivabe horn...sn is246329

Reply To Post