Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

Need Advice Quick!!!

I need to know your thoughts on a new saxophone that's good for a junior-senior in high school going on to college. This new sax may be good for legit, jazz, all styles. Right now, I use a Yamaha YAS-23 Student Saxophone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need Advice Quick!!!

What do you plan to do with it? I played a student model Conn all the way through college, but I wasn't a music major, and didn't play jazz. If you're just planning on being "in the band," I believe the YAS23 should be just fine. More than that, you may want to move up to a pro model.

Reply To Post

2. by saxdudedc
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

If you're in high school and thinking about playing through college you should definitely get a professional saxophone. the YAS-23 is a good horn but nothing compared to any of the professional models. I would go with any of the Selmers. The Series II has a good sound and good for all around purposes. The Series III has a good sound too (not as good as the Series II) but has a much faster response and is good for playing conventional music. The Reference 54 is my favorite. It's a copy of the Mark VI and has a rich, deep tone. It's just beautiful. All three models are the most popular models of the Selmer series and they're all good for any type of style. Hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

selmer has artist series saxes out. I got the opportunity to play a silver plated w/gold keys alto last sunday. It was much, much better and easier to play than a Reference 54 I tested next to it.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'm being totally honest here, I would hold off getting a new horn until 3/4 of your way though your senior year. Why subject a new pro horn to high school band, going between home and school a lot, and to pep marching band. either hold of getting one, or else use your current horn most of the time. as for the kind of horns, try them all. Not that i'm a expert on these things, but most major brands have good things going for them and are worth checking out. DON'T just go into this thinking "I'm getting a selmer" or "I like that one" but try them all and then make the choice. good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

oh I forgot, also look into vintage horns! There are some great ones out there that can set you apart and save money. (and that are already pre-scratched).

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Kounstantinou
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

Get a solid pro-line horn by your senior year. This will give you some time to learn its intricacies before solo and ensemble competitions (where college profs may be hanging around) and auditions for the studios. I ended up getting a Yamaha custom (thanks mom and dad) at the begining of my senior year. Keep your 23 fro marching band, pep band, etc. Check the college your planning on auditioning at as well - particularly their marching band (if you major in music, you may find yourself there). See if they provide the band with instruments (mine did) or if you have to provide your own. If you got to provide it, keep your 23 in college. Think Selmer SA II or III or Yamaha Customs for your pro-series.

Reply To Post

1. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

i play a cannonball im only a freshman but i know a few kids who play in my saturday group i attend and they play cannonballs and they really like them, and i am really happy with my horn as well.

Reply To Post