Saxophone Forum

by gregoryrh
(21 posts)
18 years ago

To Jamterry re: comments on the use of tongue discussion

Terry, You responded to one of my posts about the use of the tongue in sax playing. And you correctly interpreted some frustration with choice of a teacher. Actually there is not much that should be debated because I feel I know which teacher is correct for me now. But if you will indulge me, I will give you some more details. I have taken lessons for a little more than 2 years now. I think I have progressed pretty well. I am semi-retired so I have plenty of time to study and practice. The teacher I have used for all of that time is a graduate of a university music program. He also is a performer at a local jazz club. He is excellent... and young. With him I have progressed through two of the three method books. He has to push me to do that because I just love to play the music I like rather than the practice the method books by this time. The second teacher is older and more music education focused. He is the leader of the community band I joined. I found out quickly I was far behind the rest of the band, but still enjoyed the experience of playing with others. About the time I joined this band (which performs, but does not practice by the way) I was feeling that I should at least experience the methods of other teachers. At the same time I read in a book I read written by a performer that you should experience as many teachers as you can to learn new approaches. I felt when I read this that it was targeted to more experienced players but I wanted to try it anyway. So I took a few lessons from the band leader who I was told by other band members was an excellent teacher. He is. And he also has a different approach than my first teacher. He took me back to fundamentals and focuses on that....not a method book, but still fundamentals which are his approach. I feel like I am learning, but also like I went backwards somewhat because I have to learn his approach. Now the dilemma is that I have two teachers....both good, but the $$$$ are a lot. So I should pick one. I feel the new teacher is better for me, but I feel guilty about quitting the teacher that brought me this far. So now that I have rambled, at least you get a better idea of what I am thinking about. Any thoughts from someone more experienced????? Any ideas would be appreciated. Greg

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: To Jamterry re: comments on the use of tongue discussion

Are you planning on playing Jazz? Or do you like best the music you play in the community band? My guess from reading your post is that you like the community band, and that's where you want to be, at least for now. I would advise you to "get over the guilt," and let it go. Tell your original teacher that you want to focus for a while on the other style, and that you very much appreciate all that you've learned, but that you won't be taking lessons from him any more. He'll find other students who are more excited about the jazz techniques that you don't really need right now. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by gregoryrh
      (21 posts)

18 years ago

They both focus on jazz in terms of what they play. The band leader does all types of music including a jazz combo. I ultimately want to play jazz. Right now I am just a novice still working at learning my scales and chords well enough to improvise with them. I currently try to play with anyone that I can...I would even play church music with others just to gain more experience in playing with other musicians. Remember, we older students don't have a school band to gain experience playing with others. Thanks for your advice. I know that I need to get over the guilt part and just pick one. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

"I would even play church music" ... You say that like church music is a bad thing. If church music is played to God's glory, shouldn't it be the best thing? :-)

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Ok I can't comment from your viewpoint, as I am 28. Maybe just take away from my post the suggestions I give about playing styles and teachers. What's most important to you? Sound or Technique. At your generally young age in Sax years technique should still be a big priority. Leaning is allways easier if you have your basics down. It sounds like the second teacher is going to help with that. What he teaches is an attempt to make you as good as his role model, himself. Now thats not a stab, its just a fact. Students sound like their teacher. That leads me to my second point, which for a saxophone player is just as important as the first. Do you want to sound like this guy? You never mentioned if sax was his primary instrument. Do you enjoy his tone? It's important, because over the next several years you will look for him for direction in technique and tone. Just listening to him play in practices will impact your impression in what a sax should sound like. Concerning keeping 2 teachers, not worth it unless your going professional. Drop the first guy if you want to move on. Teachers should be used to loosing students. No teacher wants to loose a good student but they understand. Keep in touch as friends. Back to your teacher choices. I say go with the more legit teacher. I say legit in that he is probably moding you into a legit player. That brings you to a dirty little secret in Sax playing. There's a great devide in Sax playing, Jazz and Legit. What do you want to become? You can do both, but just recogize the difference. I am sure the legit teacher can take you on your way, but when you start wishing you could sound more professional, like the sounds you heard that first made you want to play the sax, that's when its time to look up your friend. The Jazz player, he's going to help you get that sound that you want. It's not going to really help you in Church(depending on the direction of the Churches Music) or in Community band (you can swing in community band, they just get mad at you) So as you can see how the legit teacher probably has more to offer you.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Test

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Greg, I thought that I wrote back to you, but I don't see my post anywhere here. I'm really sorry!!!! Did you see a post from me saying that you made the right decision? Maybe it was deleted, but I didn't use vulgar or offensive language. At any rate, you are on a good course, so stick with it. I had four teachers that I can remember, but maybe I have Alzheimers desease, but I could swear that i wrote back to you. I didn't play in school bands because of the piano conflict, but I did go to summer institute at Northwestern University for four years. I played in concert band, and stage band. I think the community band is good for you, and the teacher that goes with it. Did anyone see my other post? Practice on Greg!!!! Terry

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Good grief!!!! I found the other post. My mother was like this when she got old. I still have my finger dexterity, but I think my mind is on the way out. Sorry for all this nonsense!!!! :)) Terry