Saxophone Forum

by Radjammin
(255 posts)
18 years ago

Jumbo Java Mouthpiece

Hello all, I have been posting for a little while now. Just bought a new alto a Black Nickel Silver Keys Cannonball Big Bell. My old setup was a 1949 6M Pro Naked Lady. I used whole Vandorean setup. Vandorean Lig, Vandorean Java Reeds 2.5, Vandorean Jumbo Java Mouthpiece. I was allways very happy with it. The horn gave me a very vintage sound, and the mouthpiece gave it size and projection. My legit playing was on a C*(s80) with the same leg and same reeds. (I didn't usally go buy 3 reeds though I should have) I played this setup for about 7 years. When I bought my Jumbo Java they seemed really popular, had it for about 8 years, and I agree it didn't really shine until I put it on my old Conn (it tends to project the sound of my horn and my old Yamaha just didn't fell the love.) Does anyone else play on a Jumbo Java and like them as much as I have? I just want another persons opinion weather the Jumbo only sounds good on older horns? Weather modern horns are too bright for this mouthpiece. I don't plan to buy metal so you don't really need to talk about that option. I would prefer responces from people with at least 5 years of exp. playing any modern style (Jazz, rock, etc.)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tkelly777
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Jumbo Java Mouthpiece

I use a Jumbo java on a Yamaha Custom. It does sound fairly bright but with being able to adjust an Eddie Daniels ligature, I'm able to find a good balance. I like the way it sounds. I also tried it on my 1922 Martin Handcraft and it sounded REALLY good on that baby!

Reply To Post