Saxophone Forum

by solomon707
(3 posts)
18 years ago

vintage sax for blues and RnR

Hi, I'm new to this forum and it seemed like the right place for some advice. As an aspiring blues player, my alto (a buescher aristocrat, says 111911 S-33 on the back, any idea about the age?) isn't cutting it and i'm looking at a few vintage tenors. They include a King low pitch #37791, a Martin Imperial #3003xx, a Buescher Stencil #383692, a Buescher Aristocrat #285839, and some kind of Buescher #47668. That's a lot to answer, but any help would be appreciated. Aside from these specific questions, basically what should I be looking for for blues and RnR? Thanks a bunch

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: vintage sax for blues and RnR

The Buescher #47668 would be an old True Tone. They're neat old horns. My recommendation though for the type of music you're playing would be a Conn 6M Naked Lady. An older model in Silver with rolled tone holes would be ideal, but even the later lacquered 6M's really sing the blues.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

I would either get the buescher aristocrat 285k horn or the martin. The aristocrat would be the best horn but the martin is superb for blues Dave

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
        (148 posts)

18 years ago

King Super 20, Dukoff D8, Java 3s, 12 year old scotch.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

I second the 6M. A killer horn. Try an old ss Berg 90/1. You'll never have trouble with guitar players again. I also second the Super 20. I have a tenor version and it will get it done. Even without the scotch.

Reply To Post