Saxophone Forum

by JeremyA
(28 posts)
18 years ago

Music Schools in the South

I am a junior in high school and I am trying to find a college that has almost everything I want. I would love to become a music major and further my abilities at playing saxophone. I live in Atlanta and all of the music schools that I have read about on this site and have heard good things about for their saxophone programs have been in the midwest or the northeast. That's too far away for me and I don't think I could put up with the cold. I would also like to go somewhere that has a good marching band. I marched tenor for one year, bari for two, and alto this coming season. I would like to continue marching band through college. If anyone can give me some direction in my college search it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
    (42 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Music Schools in the South

Well I don't know if you would come this far but the school of music in Louisiana is Northwestern State University in Natchitoches with an average 365 members every year. My Brother and Sister march with them and I can't get enough of hearing their band its NUTS lol they always OWN the opposing band at football games. If you're really serious about music in Louisiana then Northwestern State University Demons is the school for you....it really is called the school of music :P. Hope I can help ya out

Reply To Post Yahoo!

(42 posts)

18 years ago

www.nsula.edu

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by JeremyA
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

I just got a chance to listen to their marching band and wind ensembles. WOW! I was blown away. The high school I go to has never had more than about 65 members in our marching band. I love listening to huge marching bands and try to imagine what it would be like to be a part of a group that large. What do you know about their jazz program?

Reply To Post

(42 posts)

18 years ago

Oh man I've seen their jazz band and I was goin nuts the whole time listenin to them.....everyone gets a solo pretty much. I know all the saxes did when I saw them......its insane....tha sax's are just jaw-dropping. It's a very nice experience to watch them. The first thing you think and through the whole show is "I WANNA BE ONE OF THEM!" lol it's like a dream, but it's one that's impossible. Unfortunately I gotta go to Paris Island in May for the Marine Corps and tryin out for their band so I won't be going to NSU as I planned on earlier in high school. But I'll ttry and find a video or something of their jazz band and I'll find a way to get it to ya. FORK 'EM DEMONS! here's a page from the NSU site with demon band info. contact 'em if ya want, You'll love mr. Brent. www.nsula.edu/demonband

Reply To Post Yahoo!