Saxophone Forum

by jazzplayer15
(27 posts)
18 years ago

Tone Help.

Wow, I feel like a total amateur, but I figure you guys will be able to help me more right now then the people I play with. I'm playing a Mark 6 Tenor, it's got sound sometimes, but I really don't know what I do to get that sound and it's only on the lower notes. How do I get that "sax" sound all around? I love the way the Tenor sounds in my jazz recordings and even when other High School students play, but mine doesn't sound like that. I don't know how to explain it. Mine has more of a brassy, airy kind of sound. How do I fix that? Thanks K

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tone Help.

Try a softer reed to start. You want a reed that is stiff enough so that it won't close up when extreme pressure is applied, and not so stiff that the vibrance and flexibility of the tone are sacrificed. If that doesn't help, maybe your mouth piece is too open. I never use higher than a seven for tenor, and Otto Link 7 works good on my Mark VI tenor. If you know how to pick reeds, i would use Vandoren traditional and La Voz. I try to keep five good reeds on hand, whichever brand they may be. When i was a student , my teacher told me to face a corner so i could hear my tone. Just mess with it and think about it in your head what you want to sound like. Pretend that you are on stage and all the eyes are on you. Get into it. Best of luck to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

18 years ago

is it true the color of the reed can be and indicator of it's quality? as told to me, no dark spots, look for nice amber color, and also the gentleman told me old unused reeds or vintage were good. he sold me some roy maier reed he said were 20 years old is this possible. they did play well.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

18 years ago

wow.. highest u play is a 7?? the two tenors in my section, one is a junior and one is a sophmore and they are playing on otto link 8 with 3.5 java reeds.. could that be part of the reason they cant control and maintain pitch? i really want to work towards making my section the tightest knit section in the band along with everyone else but its hard to do that when we have so many missed pitches.. ... as for you tone buddy lol.. listen to other players that you admire or would like to sound like.. if it is at all possible, play with them.. thats one of hte main things that have helped me develop a semi decent tone on alto.. ive played in person with other more experienced alto players.. and less experienced.. it helps you to see what you want and dont want in your tone.. and for the better players, you subconciously want to try and match your tone to thiers while u play.. playing in a corner or towards a wall really helps as well.. also playing in a room with good acoustics...... a lot of people told me to play in a room that is "alive".. (echo'ish) so you can hear your sound bouncing around the room overtones help a lot too.. they dont so much help you get to a sound you want, but tend to lead you into the sound that you are meant to have

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

An Otto Link 8 with 3.5 Java reeds?!?! HOLY HELL!!! Yes, I would say that could be why they have a hard time maintaining pitch! It's a wonder they haven't bursted half the blood vessels in thier faces! Do their eyes bulge as they are playing? Tell them to try a #2 reed. I think they will have a lot better control and sound. Really, an Otto Link 6 is open enough.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe if you dropped the mouthpiece in concret, let it harden and then try playing it you would get better air flow? Just an idea.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That might improve the sound and intonation of a Selmer S80 Radjammin, dropping it in concrete! It sure couldn't hurt it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

or you could take thouse 3.5 reeds and do some repairs on your house. melt down the otto and make a new doornob for your bathroom.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

My rule of thumb is that the darker reeds tend to be better. The curve and slope, and the color are what I go by. I just found some reeds in a book here at home. They must have been there for at least 10 years. I can't even remeber putting them there, but they play fine. I always look for color first, then I check the horizontal curve, and last the slope. That still is no gaurantee that they are good.

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

If you're tone is sounding thin and brassy, it's most likely your airstream. Try playing your tenor, and then take the mouthpiece out and play into your hand. Feel the air as it's coming out onto your hand. Is that air warm or cold? It should be warm, a lot players blow quick small airstreams, resulting in cold air. That makes for a thin sound. You want to think more about exhaling than blowing when you play. And when you are pushing air out, instead of playing out of your lungs, try to think about playing from your stomach. You can practice this stuff just doing long tones, so it's easier to concentrate on the task at hand. Give that a try for a few weeks, your tone should fatten up.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with what Mr. Golfer said, and I can add to it. Another major part in a good tone is expanding your throat, If your throat is wider the air is more likely to be warm. As to making your throat wider... pretend your throwing up :-) (well this works for me). Another major part is breathing. Make sure your shoulders don't rise while inhaling, and make sure you can fill up and expand that diaphragm... The human lungs can fill 6 litres of air, most people only use 2. Use those full six litres! Hope this helped. Sean

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

Well said Sean. To add to the throat thing,(this is the only time I will ever tell someone to do this) look into the mirror while playing the saxophone(bites thumb) and watch your throat. It should open by itself, just relax the muscles and the air should make it expand. The best example of this I've ever seen is Dick Oatts. If you don't know who he is, go jump off a cliff. And then find out. When he plays, I would say his throat expands to 3 times the normal size, and he in my opinion has the best alto sound out there right now. Also a very good point on the breath intake. Just think about breathing up. Start by taking air into the bottom of your diaphragm at your stomach, and fill your diaphragm from the bottom up.

Reply To Post

4. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

Great responses. There is much wisdom flowing in these posts. It definately sounds like air support is a huge issue here. You mentioned you liked your low notes. Are you sub-toning? Sub-toning is done in the lower register of the horn and allows air to escape through the horn at a slower speed creating an altered sound. This is a great tool to have. It should be done tastefully and is not to be used in all of the time. I love the sound and use it daily but it is not the proper technique of playing. To play the horn you must take a deep breath (as someone already mentioned do not move your shoulders) then flex your abdominal muscle to support (it should feel like you are doing a sit-up). Keep the pressure while you release a steady stream of air through the horn. If it is mechanical here are some things to try. You will hardley ever here me say this but try a softer reed (I am learning that playing on a 2 by 4 is not for everyone). If you are playing on a metal mp try a hard rubber. The chamber might be to large and enabling you to controll it. Finally, your sound is internal. You will sound like what you listen to. If you are not listening on a regular basis (I suggest at least 30 minutes a day of just listening) it is impossible to develope a mature sound on the horn. If you want to sound like Trane, listen to Trane. If you want to sound like Joe Henderson, check out Joe. If you want to sound like Joshua Redman, listen to Josh. This is how you develope your sound, from the inside out. Until you fix technique (breathing and fingers), and develope some roots by listening equipment will do little good. Hope this helps, Tracy

Reply To Post